The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, few of my plants are melting... It's been 1.5 months after setup.. last week started fertilizer dosing after seeing few plants getting weak,. Pls find the attached image where tips are turned yellow and withering.. pls help

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
The pic actually looks pretty normal. I can't see where it's yellowing; it looks like sort of thin new growth but not like it's dying back. The plants might just be adjusting to the changes. That's pretty common in a new setup, especially if you only just started dosing.

What are your water parameters, and what/how much are you dosing. Are you using CO2, how much light, and are you using a special substrate?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pic actually looks pretty normal. I can't see where it's yellowing; it looks like sort of thin new growth but not like it's dying back. The plants might just be adjusting to the changes. That's pretty common in a new setup, especially if you only just started dosing.

What are your water parameters, and what/how much are you dosing. Are you using CO2, how much light, and are you using a special substrate?
Mine is 2.5ft tank.. I've used 8kg power sand and 18kg aqua soil... Co2- >1bps for 8hrs and light I reduced recently from 6hrs to 4hrs since I've got some long green hair algae(u can see it in pics)...

Pls let me know if you know how to control tat algae

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
The hair algae should resolve after the tank balances out, but reducing the photoperiod will help. The stem plants would benefit from dosing the water column a bit if you aren't already since they pull more from the leaves than the roots, though you should probably start slowly so you can watch for a green algae outbreak. The trick is to find the balance between plants, co2, light and ferts so that the plants outcompete the algae.

It's normal for plants to die back a little while adjusting to a new tank, and that hair algae may be feeding off nutrients that are being released by the parts that are adapted to the previous growth conditions. Once it's balanced out and the plants are fully adjusted, it should mostly resolve on its own. However, even a really healthy tank will still have a tiny bit of algae, so you might consider adding a couple amano shrimp to help keep it cleaned up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.