The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants Melting , Set-up problem or transitioning ? Sugestions !

1249 9
Hi,

This aquarium was set up with no plants and then converted, it consists of:

Lighting
30W LED Floodlights x 2
4 39W T5 Unit

Substrate
Crushed fine black gravel (1/2mm)
Clay mixed in
Root tabs

Filters
1000L/H External
1000L/H Internal

Temp: 22/25 c

Plants were a mixed box from aqua essentials
This tank is old and scratched up however was only converted as an experiment before a nice new tank was purchased if they flourished :)
Dosing EasyLife Carbon (4ml Daily) Macro and Micro (2ml & 0.1ml daily), and does have co2 to some extent from a large DIY Fermentation. All of the plants do pearl im just battling this melting and cant see improvement ? Water parameters should be fine the tank is well established, however I don't have any test kits at the moment, this will change soon. Only improvement I can possibly see is in the first picture the new very tiny leaves that are growing seem to be vibrant green and healthy. Plants have been in for 16 days.

Pics:
[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
Most of what I see looks like shipping damage. And damaged parts do not repair.
Actually I'm very surprised you don't have a tank completely full of algae/w that much light. You are over 2 x the normal amount used to grow plants/w.
How tall is this tank and that would relate to the last statement very much.
Two T5 bulbs is more regular for non-injected CO2 tanks. Tanks usually from 45 to 55CM tall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find that the LED Lights angle is very narrow and concentrated and doesn't provide light through out the tank seeing as they are fairly close to the surface. I do limit the T5's to some extent, aesthetically they are more pleasing so are on only when I am at home so possibly 4 hours daily during the week (I'm at University allot of the time) and they are usually on longer periods at weekends. I haven't experienced any algae yet the tank is 60cm deep, I did once suffer from hair algae which was solved by replacing the T5 bulbs they had become old. I do regular glass cleaning and there is a 24cm/9inch ish common plec that I have had for years, he doesn't seem to pull up plants or harm them. I have thought about raising the LED Lights so the angle covers the whole aquarium but as of yet no algae.

So do you believe the plants are just rooting and going though the usual transitioning and loosing the damaged leaves ?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
how long have you had the plants in the tank?
how long do you run your lights per day?
whats your water change schedule like?
what ferts do you dose besides root tabs?
How much stock to do you have?
What size tank?
How high are the lights from the substrate?
Are you running pressurized co2?
Liquid carbon source?
Tank temp?
Amount of Surface agitation?

this info will help provide us with some details in order to help you better.

Bump: sorry, I just further read through the info you provided. What macro and micros are you using to dose? dry ferts or bottled product?
16 days is not a lot of time for plants to get establish. You going to have an explosion of algae if you keep up with lots of light and poor plant group. I already see a fair bit of it from the pictures. I suspect your dosing of macros is insufficient as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long have you had the plants in the tank?
how long do you run your lights per day?
whats your water change schedule like?
what ferts do you dose besides root tabs?
How much stock to do you have?
What size tank?
How high are the lights from the substrate?
Are you running pressurized co2?
Liquid carbon source?
Tank temp?
Amount of Surface agitation?

this info will help provide us with some details in order to help you better.

Bump: sorry, I just further read through the info you provided. What macro and micros are you using to dose? dry ferts or bottled product?
16 days is not a lot of time for plants to get establish. You going to have an explosion of algae if you keep up with lots of light and poor plant group. I already see a fair bit of it from the pictures. I suspect your dosing of macros is insufficient as well.
They are liquid -
ProFito - Micro 2ml daily
Nitro - Macro - 0.1ml daily (10ml treats 500l)

2ml each daily - its what I have been recommended

And the T5's are simply what come with the tank I have had it for years its second hand given to me and was abit beaten then , However I only use them for aesthetics now , I do plan to raise the LED lamps higher to get them covering light in the whole tank and keep the T5's as spare, that should be done today. The T5's are on roughly 4 hours daily ish maybe less.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
a main issue i see is that your not dosing enough macro nutrients. the amount your dosing is hardly anything. you need to try and maintain 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates. potassium should be in the 10-30ppm range.

the nitro says it yields 2ppm nitrates for 10ml for a 500L tank. not sure what size tank you have but your way way way under. which means necrosis.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help !

I have purchased to what I think is a better dry fertiliser that you mix yourself for macro which seems to encompass more control over the dosage , I will give this ago over the next few weeks

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Dry ferts are the way to go forsure. Far more control. There are nutrient calculators out there to help you figure out dosing. Amounts. I would do 1/3 of the recommended to start with. Build up as your plantass increases and or you see plant deficiencies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dry ferts are the way to go forsure. Far more control. There are nutrient calculators out there to help you figure out dosing. Amounts. I would do 1/3 of the recommended to start with. Build up as your plantass increases and or you see plant deficiencies.
This is what it contains:

Analysis % When mixed with 1 litre de-ionised water:
N 1.33%, P 0.12%, K 3.88%, Mg 0.39%, B 0.01%, Cu 0.002%, Fe 0.11%, Mn 0.02%, Mo 0.002%, Zn 0.01%

Do you think that this sounds like a comprehensive mix ?

I Also have been told by aqua essentials the place i purchased the plants to lower the light for now and tipple the dosage of ferts, then increase the light and adjust dosage?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Having a short / less intense lighting is probably not a bad move. Don't want to go full throttle right off the bat with lighting. Higher concentration of co2 can only help the situation. Over dosing ferts is not something I suggest. I have had experience where too much ferts have had negative effects. I am talking highly overdosing. Since then I take a more "just the right amount" approach.

This can be achieved only through trial and error.

What size tank do you have? how many gallon / litre?

Here are what i would suggest as weekly targets for dosing. (at the end of the week before a water change you should be around these values)
nitrates = 10-20ppm
phosphates = 1-5ppm
potassium = 10-30ppm
iron = .5-1ppm

you can use online nutrient calculator to help figure out dosing to reach desired targets. Spread the dosing out doing macros and micros on separate days. Ensure to run lights for 6-7 hours and do weekly 50% water changes. focus on a good feeding schedule, maybe skipping a day or 2 a week.

keep the tank clean and trim off any leaves that look like they are dying or have algae on them. do this for about 2-4 weeks and monitor. take before and after photos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.