The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've had this tank set up for around 2 weeks, and I've been steadily losing stem plants.
Tank size: 5 gallon
Substrate: Tropica aquarium soil "powder"
Light: 13 watt CFL 6500K
Filtration: none currently
Temperature: 78
pH: 6.8-7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ferts: 0.5 mL Flourish Comprehensive once a week
Photoperiod: 11 hours, recently reduced to 9 hours due to algae
Livestock: none

So first I had half of my Hygrophila Siamensis stems melt, and now about half of my Ludwigia Repens stems, and the rest aren't looking good either. There's been a bacteria bloom since I set up the tank, which is possibly blocking some of the light. My rooted plants, Sagittaria Subulata and Cryptocoryne Wendtii, haven't yet been affected by melt as far as I can tell. Any advice, or issues with my setup that you can see? I know some melt can be expected at the beginning of a new tank, but I haven't seen any growth happening either, with is concerning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things I see....nitrates should not be zero.....and Flourish comprehensive is not comprehensive, it’s mostly micros.

Doug
Should I be dosing nitrates? They're currently zero because I don't have any livestock yet. I suppose I could throw some fish food in there to rot and release ammonia - I haven't been doing that because I had previously assumed my Tropica substrate would release enough ammonia to cycle the tank. But so far, it doesn't look like it will

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.