The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently had to change the substrate in my shrimp tank. This is heavily planted but with low-tech plants. While I was at it, I also dipped the plants in an H202 solution (because I had some hair algae which was persistent) and then in a Potassium Permanganate solution ( because I had a snail problem) so I thought I'd do this since I was tearing everything apart. I rinsed the plants well after this process , and I took great care in not leaving them in the solution too long. The problem is that now my Anubias and Amazon Swords are going yellow. My Water Wisterias also seem to have gone awry. My Java Ferns, however, are fine and dandy. Is it normal for some plants to die back when rescaping a tank ? Should I cut off the yellowing leaves ?I can post pictures if necessary.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That looks like damage from the dips, rather than rescaping. I have had that happen to anubius when I dipped them for bba. I ended up having to cut off any damaged leaves since they just continued to deteriorate. I started off by cutting off the very worst ones, and as the plant grew, I continued to cut off the damaged leaves. You are right, they will not recover.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I didn't use tabs, as I had ADA Substrate, but now I switched over to Bouse Shrimp Sand, which is meant for shrimp not plants, so I've put in some Flourish tabs to help out the sword. Regarding the root system - I think it's been ruined since I've changed the whole substrate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest I'm not really sure :/ I didn't look well I guess ( probably because I didn't think that this mass die-off would happen ) . I did this whole thing 2 weeks ago, and only this week have the pants gone really backward.

·
Registered
406 Posts
To be honest I'm not really sure :/ I didn't look well I guess ( probably because I didn't think that this mass die-off would happen ) . I did this whole thing 2 weeks ago, and only this week have the pants gone really backward.

i got some plants that came in the mail and they were half frozen (anubias and crypts) the cryps melted to like 1-2 leaves on each some was nothing but roots..the anubias had to have most its leaves cut off...i had one rizome that was about 2 1/2 in with one leaf left:| this was in january i believe...it took the anubias way longer for it to start to bouce back as of 2 weeks ago i started seeing new roots..as of 3-4 days ago i started seeing new leaves forming...now the crypts bounced back faster, within 10 days i started to see new leaves coming up even on the ones that lost all of their leaves ..as of today they are getting much more fuller. that sword will bounce back the fastest but your anubias will bouce back also...remember jus clip off the worst leaves 1-2 at a time, this lets the plant use that energy to make new leaves...:wink2:. good luck...

·
Registered
918 Posts
It usually takes a week or so to show damage or improvement from changes. I think you will see new growth on your sword over the next few weeks. The anubius will be a bit slower, but as it grows, the new leaves will be normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.