The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I planted these plants about 2 weeks ago. They were doing ok until 2-3 days ago.
Ludwigia Peruensis - Why the leaves look like that?
Cardinal Plant - They had holes on some leaves, treated with Potassium yesterday. Recomendable dose for the 7gallons. Leaves look weird, why?
Water Sprite - Some look blackish, why?
Banana Plants - Some black dust around the small leaves, why?

- Waterbox 72 gallons
-CO2 almost 1 point difference (on for 7 hrs)
-Light for 10 hours, only 3 hours at 75% balance 50% and 30% (Pendant Twinstar 1200SP). 13” from water.
- Tropica Fert Premium 5 days (8 ml daily)
Tropica Specialized 2 days (8 ml daily)
  • Amazonia Ver 2 soil with ADA advance power sand
  • Seachem root tabs
  • Weekly 50% water change (30 gals RO and 5 tap)
  • kH and GH 3
  • 49 fish (small and big)

Will answer any questions you might have.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Maybe imbalances. I'm not 100% on the ratios but I'm willing to bet it's off on nitrogen/ phosphates. Active substrate will absorb nutrients until they are saturated, so it is a possibility that you're not getting enough in the column.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Maybe imbalances. I'm not 100% on the ratios but I'm willing to bet it's off on nitrogen/ phosphates. Active substrate will absorb nutrients until they are saturated, so it is a possibility that you're not getting enough in the column.
My nitrates are 20-30 PPM. I am doing already 1 dose as per recommended dose in bottle of Potassium, might need more since it says 2-3 times a week?? and just bought a bottle of seachem phosphorus which is Phosphates. Thoughts?
I just read the following for water sprite:
when you introduce the plant to your freshwater tank, you might see there is a nutrition deficiency in your aquarium since they take up too much potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen. In such a case, feel free to add supplements either in the form of liquid or powder.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Nitrates are a little high (depending on when you dosed). I just added a phosphate additive to my regime as I finally was able to acquire testing. I would be very careful and up ferts in small increments if you don't have access to testing supplies to hone into exactly what you need. Phos and potassium are probably lower than they need to be at the level where nitrates are. Mine usually are around 10. How you go about dosing is 100% a personal decision. A lot of people go with powdered and if I had the ability to get things shipped to my house I probably would too as it's much cheaper, but I make due with what I can get where I live. I focus on what's in the ferts I'm buying and raise my dosing in VERY small increments (half a ml per week) and observe closely. This has been my method due to lack of adequate supplies but it can be applied to cheapskate aquarium keeping a well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nitrates are a little high (depending on when you dosed). I just added a phosphate additive to my regime as I finally was able to acquire testing. I would be very careful and up ferts in small increments if you don't have access to testing supplies to hone into exactly what you need. Phos and potassium are probably lower than they need to be at the level where nitrates are. Mine usually are around 10. How you go about dosing is 100% a personal decision. A lot of people go with powdered and if I had the ability to get things shipped to my house I probably would too as it's much cheaper, but I make due with what I can get where I live. I focus on what's in the ferts I'm buying and raise my dosing in VERY small increments (half a ml per week) and observe closely. This has been my method due to lack of adequate supplies but it can be applied to cheapskate aquarium keeping a well.
Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts