The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could diagnose what's happening to my plants. They are healthy when purchased but over several weeks they begin to get holes/rot/turn brown. I've been dosing with 'flourish excel' as recommended by my LFS. I thought that perhaps they weren't doing well with buried roots (pool filter sand as substrate), but even free floating they are suffering from the same problems. Recently, even my anubius' are doing poorly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LmPSG3cgSxBXyPAA7

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could diagnose what's happening to my plants. They are healthy when purchased but over several weeks they begin to get holes/rot/turn brown. I've been dosing with 'flourish excel' as recommended by my LFS. I thought that perhaps they weren't doing well with buried roots (pool filter sand as substrate), but even free floating they are suffering from the same problems. Recently, even my anubius' are doing poorly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LmPSG3cgSxBXyPAA7

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Roots needs a medium particle size substrate, but u can mix with another rich nutrient substrate, dont worry. Seachen excell will be good for co2 purposes but seachem flourish + s. potassium + s. iron is a good combo, also u can buy small ammounts of seachem advance for new root growth.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
You need to be adding fertilizer. Looks like potassium/manganese deficiency to me.

Take a look at an all in one fertilizer like thrive or easy green if you don't want the hassle of keeping up with multiple products.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I thought flourish excel WAS a fertilizer!!?? I assumed it was a broad spectrum type thing that would provide all the required nutrients. I'll have a closer look. Thanks heaps for the info
Excel is a carbon source. Also used to help aid with algae. High doses can become toxic/deadly to fish, shrimp and snails.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Every new planted tank I have setup appears to have a plant die off the first few months. Then the plants get established and most all survive.

After a new tank "settles down" additional plants seem to establish themselves much quicker. I believe there are bacteria that are benificial to plants and their ability to absorb nutrience (other than the much talked about nitrifying bacteria) need to get established in a newly planted tank.

By far the hardest part of planted tanks for me is patients!

My reccomendation is root tabs and patients.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Fertilizer is certainly part of your issues. However, it would be best to get a complete picture of your setup in order to better help. Please provide as much of the following as possible:

- Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading at the substrate and photoperiod?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity), in terms of ppm, and how often?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
- What is your tank size?

Reactions: Oughtsix
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.