The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I too am in the same situation you are, I have live plants in gravel. I am finding that the plants will do just ok, if they grow the growth will be very slow. Some plants just grow slow aswell, like java, fern. I am just starting to supplement my plants and i will have to let you know how it works out for me.

TECK

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "love plants", unless that is a typo and you mean "live" plants.

If you do mean live plants, there are several options that you have with a gravel tank.

1. Get plants that get their nutrients from the water column. Any floating plant (like frogbit) would fit well in this category. Depending on the plant, you might need to dose with a liquid fertilizer.
  2. Get slow-growing, low light plants that don't need many nutrients. Good examples of this are java fern and anubias plants.
  3. Plan on getting root tabs for your root-feeding plants. I have a sand substrate in my tank, and I use Seachem Flourish Root Tabs for my root-feeders, which include my amazon sword, my Italian vals, and my crinum calamistratum and crinum aquatica plants. I have also heard that osmocote plus tabs are good as well.
  4. Change the substrate.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like Crypt Parva and Cabomba on the right.
Thank you!

Is there any other plants you would recommend for a gravel substrate tank?

My next one will be a soil base but I have to work with what I have for now :)

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Looks like you're off to a great start.

Your Crypt parva will do much better if you remove it from that rock wool mound and plant it in your substrate.

Just about any plant will work for you providing you have proper ferts and such. Easy stems like Bacopa monnieri and plants like Anubias nana 'petite' will grow really well with just root tabs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.