The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to plants so bare with me......I'll give some info regarding my setup first.

140Gal freshwater, Pressurized CO2, UV sterlizer, Undergravel heat, flourite subtrate, t5 lighting (200+ watts).

I've had this tank setup for 3 weeks now and my plants are starting to wilt. I don't have the names of all of them, but the sword's leaves are becoming transluscent and I'm afraid something with the water is drastically wrong.

I tested PH 6.77, GH 1deg, KH 1deg, phosphate 0 and waiting on an Iron test kit.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the hobby!

First things first.......Have a look at these sites.

Aquaria Plants.com and RexGrigg.com.

They will both give you plenty of good info, particularly on the subject of ferts. Your GH, KH and PO4 levels all need to be raised.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd agree on the hardness levels, but I wouldn't go adding phosphate just yet. You can add Epsom salt (MgSO4) to increase magnesium, and crushed coral/calcium carbonate to increase calcium, and baking soda to increase KH. There are other methods but these are the ones I've used.

As for other parameters, what about nitrate?????? The test kits for nitrate are FAR more reliable than phophate or iron, and they are more important to steady growth. Nitrates need to be above 5ppm in order to maintain growth and fight off algae.

Also realize that many plants will "morph" when they hit a new tank, often they will bounce back in a slightly different shape or form.

But I think any details about your fertilizing efforts would be necessary!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts