The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was having trouble a few years ago where my HC and plants in general were doing really well that then everything crashed. I spent several months trying to sort it out but eventually gave up and took the tank down.

Last year I decided to try again but from the start the HC didn't do well, the DHG belem was okay. HC grew slowly but all the new leaves started getting covered in brown looking algae and brown stringy algae.

My tank parameters/set up are as follows:

- Standard 10gal
- Fugeray Planted plus light (5" from water surface)
- 5hour photoperiod
- Eheim 2213 filter
- Iwaki pump running Cerges style CO2 reactor (~250gph). CO2 is maxed as I have no fish, the limit is the giant CO2 pocket in the reactor that forms if it is too high
- ~72-76 temp
- EI dosing with 50% water change at the end of the week
- Tahitian moon sand substrate

I was on vacation for two weeks and only had someone top off the water. I dropped the lights on to 1hour, CO2 was on. Other than that nothing else was done (no water changes, no ferts). When I got back the HC was doing well, no more brown algae covering the leaves and it had started to carpet (slowly but noticeable). Brown stringy algae was still there. DHG was also doing well.

My problem seems to be ferts, photo period, water changes or some combination of them. Any suggestions on what to try to figure it out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
HC does not do well with high trace dosing. The descriptions of the issues sound similar to many others who've done the same by dosing high traces. HC is quite an easy plant as long as traces are within safe limits, which happens to be far far lower than an EI dose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

Ferts are dosed as follows (liquid dosing):
KNO3: 0.4g x3 a week every other day
KH2PO4: 0.35g x3 a week every other day
Plantex: 0.19g x3 a week every other day

I'm not really sure what constituents safe limits.

Daniel

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
If stopping dosing improved the health of plants then it should be obvious that you are over-dosing something and it is harming your HC. Most likely this is the Plantex CSM+B (micros) as solcielo suggests. Start dosing a lot less of that and see if your HC continues to do well.

Also clean up as much algae on the HC as you can. When I had HC I also had the same brown stringy stuff growing on it. It will suffocate the HC so you need to clean it off. Once things balance out you should be safe and your HC should not get algae on it anymore.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If stopping dosing improved the health of plants then it should be obvious that you are over-dosing something and it is harming your HC. Most likely this is the Plantex CSM+B (micros) as solcielo suggests. Start dosing a lot less of that and see if your HC continues to do well.

Also clean up as much algae on the HC as you can. When I had HC I also had the same brown stringy stuff growing on it. It will suffocate the HC so you need to clean it off. Once things balance out you should be safe and your HC should not get algae on it anymore.
I tried reducing the dosing over the past month. The only thing I noticed is the algae got worse. I didn't notice much change with the plants.

Daniel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.