The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will keep that in mind. Foreground plants seem so expensive and most of the time you spend more on shipping. So I thought I’d try doing it myself. Anyone know any trusted baby tear seed sellers?

·
Registered
263 Posts
#1 fluval stratum
#2 seachem flourite
#3 eco complete
Be careful ordering seeds online you may receive illegal/invasive and toxic plants has happened to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aren't all aquarium plants invasive?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well any plant from a different ecosystem can be but it is whether or not they are listed in your state. The seeds I got were for baby tears but they grew weird then the fish died and my other plants died I had to replace everything because they leech a toxic chemical into the water that can’t be removed

·
Registered
30 Posts
To answer the question on where to buy plants I buy live from aquarium coop online they have a decent selection dwarf baby tears are 7.99 and free shipping on orders over 45 so I usually stock up on Chemicals and buy a plant or two.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think you will find it nearly impossible to buy aquatic plant seeds online and get what you expect. As near as I can tell ALL of the sellers on amazon are plant seeds are either not aquatic plants, not what they say they are, or are just generally not good quality, possibly all 3. Additionally the term baby tears used to describe many different species some terrestrial, some aquatic. So even if you found true 'baby tears' they could still be a non-aquatic version. I bought some hair grass seeds from a reputable USA located nursery and purchased them by their scientific name, grew them outside and when I transplanted them indoors into a tank they all died. Meanwhile I am growing the exact 'same' species from tissue culture in another tank in my house with no issues. Soo yeah, I'm a bit salty these days on seed purchases. Anyway I suggest just getting what you need in pots or tissue culture and then doing a dry start if you want to grow them out quicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aren't all aquarium plants invasive?

What do you mean by invasive? I have found they are a great addition to the eco system of my tanks?
Well any plant from a different ecosystem can be but it is whether or not they are listed in your state. The seeds I got were for baby tears but they grew weird then the fish died and my other plants died I had to replace everything because they leech a toxic chemical into the water that can’t be removed

oh that’s horrible ! I will take a look at the aquarium coop to see what they have. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Invasive as in they if released into your local ecosystem ie thrown out. then by some chance makes it’s way into a water way it will take over and kill all other plants. Your city/ state will have a list of these that are illegal for your state because of how Dangerous they are to the ecosystem. But it most sites will say if they can’t ship certain products into your state.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Invasive as in they if released into your local ecosystem ie thrown out. then by some chance makes it’s way into a water way it will take over and kill all other plants. Your city/ state will have a list of these that are illegal for your state because of how Dangerous they are to the ecosystem. But it most sites will say if they can’t ship certain products into your state.

But even if they aren't on the "noxious" list, they can still be invasive. And releasing any non-native organism is typically illegal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do not get “carpet” seeds. They are never what they are advertised as and it will ruin your tank in the long run. There are plenty of affordable places to get carpet plants from where shipping isn’t outrageous.
Buceplant
Aquarium plants factory
Glass aqua
Are all reputable, affordable places I have gotten aquatic plants from.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Thank you! I will keep that in mind. Foreground plants seem so expensive and most of the time you spend more on shipping. So I thought I’d try doing it myself. Anyone know any trusted baby tear seed sellers?
Where are you looking at plants. Shipping is usually free. You could buy baby tears/dwarf baby tears for around $8-9 including shipping from a ton of reputable sellers on ebay, amazon and elsewhere.

FYI: If your not running co2 with pretty good light, I would skip the carpeting plants. Very few of them well truly "carpet."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.