The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what plants are native to central america? I want to add some to my tank. Currently, my stock includes only peaceful CA fish that do not burrow. My substrate is just plain pool filter sand. I don't dose. No CO2. I'll soon have about 4.5 watts per gallon of light with a new light that i'm getting.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Oh boy there are a bunch of good riparium plants that are Central America-ish. I put together this tank as a rough approximation of a Southern Mexico river.

That's a pretty good representation of most of the rivers that I have seen in Mexico and in Costa Rica, which seem to have limited diversity and abundance of full aquatic submerged vegetation, but lots of stuff growing on the banks. I have wondered if most of those streams just get very heavy flow during the rainy season, so underwater plants are less able to establish. Many of those rivers also have pretty hard water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow! that's beautiful! but unfortunately, i was interested in fully submerged plants. that's wierd, i was on MFK and a thread i've been following had that exact picture, but i know that it wasn't his. Interesting

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
oh wow! that's beautiful! but unfortunately, i was interested in fully submerged plants. that's wierd, i was on MFK and a thread i've been following had that exact picture, but i know that it wasn't his. Interesting
Hmm, I have probably posted that picture over there. Do you mean that the other person had quoted that picture?

Oh yes like Nymsley said the APC Plant Finder is a good idea. Another thing that you might try if you are into plants is to look for published scientific description. There are many little papers like that out there with lists of plants that grow in particular rivers or watersheds or national parks. Most such thing from Central America would be in Spanish, but the plant names are all the same. You might even be able to find something for the specific area where your fish are from.

hydrophyte, whats the plant with the pink flowers?
That is a pink Mexican rain lily, Zephyranthes macrosiphon.

It's actually pretty easy to bloom if you just give it routine fertilization and adequate light.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which fish from CA do you have?
Currently, I have fish from SA and CA, but I plan to sell the SA fish and only keep the CA fish. By the time I introduce plants, the only specimens i will have will be archocentrus (maybe herotilapia) multispinosa (rainbow cichlids) and xiphophoous helleri (swordtails).

Maybe these databases would help:
PlantGeek Plant Guide
APC Plant Finder

hydrophyte, whats the plant with the pink flowers?

Quote:
I don't dose. No CO2. I'll soon have about 4.5 watts per gallon of light with a new light that i'm getting.
Are you keeping that routine with the new lights?
Unfortunately yes. after i get the lights i won't have enough cash to dish out on a CO2 system. the only plant supplements I have are seachem flourish and excel. What i might do is try to buy CO2 in liquid form (i think its excel for seachem and something else that PFK uses that i may want to try) and for dosing, i have no idea. Since i don't have a nutrient rich substrate i was thinking root tabs? And thanks for the links, i checked them out and they're great. I know that Central America doesn't have many plants, but there's still a few.

Hmm, I have probably posted that picture over there. Do you mean that the other person had quoted that picture?

Oh yes like Nymsley said the APC Plant Finder is a good idea. Another thing that you might try if you are into plants is to look for published scientific description. There are many little papers like that out there with lists of plants that grow in particular rivers or watersheds or national parks. Most such thing from Central America would be in Spanish, but the plant names are all the same. You might even be able to find something for the specific area where your fish are from.
Here's the link to the page i found your picture on: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288925&page=32

Also, thanks for the tip with the published scientific descriptions. I'll have to research that, but unfortunately finals is coming up soon, so my research will have to be temporarily held off for a couple of weeks. But i will definitely try it.

QUOTE=yogi1974_316us;975583]Check mongabay.com[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I'll have to read it more in depth but looks good so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, here's my now:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egyb-UYovaM

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Hey thanks for that link. I suppose that that was not a proper quote but I post over there and that picture has been floating around anyway so it's no big deal.

Hey if you are really interested in researching authentic plants and if you think of it then send me a note. I am pretty good at finding stuff with Google Scholar and my fiancee also works at the university so I can get stuff published in journals. I have fun doing that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for that link. I suppose that that was not a proper quote but I post over there and that picture has been floating around anyway so it's no big deal.

Hey if you are really interested in researching authentic plants and if you think of it then send me a note. I am pretty good at finding stuff with Google Scholar and my fiancee also works at the university so I can get stuff published in journals. I have fun doing that.
Thanks, but my experience in researching plants is finding the exact scientific name for the plant, planning it all out in my tank, and then not being able to find it anywhere online or in any LFS. I currently am not ready for plants at the moment as i don't have my light yet and still have non CA fish, but when I am ready, I'll be sure to contact you. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts