The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the summer I'm setting up a 20 gal "overflow" tank, for when my guppies and endler's make too many babies for their tanks (they get bigger tanks in August). It has no hood or light, so I'm going to put it in a place where it will get at least some light from north and west facing windows. HOB filter.

Suggestions for plants that I might throw in there? No scape, just nutrient absorbers/hiding places.

I'm pretty sure java moss will be okay, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Yes, I have done a search for several different combinations of "low" "tech" "no" "window" "lighting" "plants", etc, and still have not found what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hornwort. 10 characters
I kinda wondered about that. I know how well it does in my low-med light tanks, especially at the top, nearest the light, and wasn't sure how well it would do without a direct/consistent light-source.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to try a soil based/natural substrate.

Anarchis, duckweed, swords, anubias, java fern (of course)... there's more but that's all I can think of right now.
Yea, it's a mix of natural gravel and schultz aquatic soil. I had planned some decent lighting for it at one time, but bought my 55gal instead.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not add a fluorescent strip? This will open up a few possibilities with plants for a small price.
I really don't want to put any money into this tank. I'm going to be throwing all my extra summer earnings into the 55gal and renovating my new house. I could probably find a floor lamp and put a spiral bulb in it. At least that way I could see a few of the fishies that are in it, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.