The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just got a 90 gal bowfront and is planning to have a low-maintenance planted tank with discus.

As of right now, it'll probably be low-light, as it comes with a standard 48" fluorescent fixture.

Any ideas as far as what plants to use to fill up the spaces correctly, especially with low-light/no-CO2? Are his options better if he uses a different lighting fixture (recommendations on fixtures??)?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Since it's going to be low-tech, I suggest going with the existing light fixture for now and see how it works out. Low/medium lighting for a planted discus tank may not be the primary concern to start out with, but rather which plants can do reasonably well at the higher discus temps.
There are many plants to try out in this environment - I've had very good luck with amazon swords, hygrophilas, ludwigias, jumbo grasses, anubias, java ferns, lotuses, rotalas, bacopas, even sags & vals. Crypts can also do well, after an acclimation period of a few weeks.
Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.