The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna set up a little nano in my dorm.
gonna have plants and those cherry shrimp.
the only place i can put it is a 6" deep shelf
so i found a rectangular glass vase that is 15"L x 4"W x 4.5"T
at least i THINK this is what im gonna get.
what i need to know is...
what sorts of plants can i put in an inch or less of sand and that wont exceed a 3ish inch hight?

(for reference i really like the plants in this tank and they look like they would work for me http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/82900-my-finnex-4-iwagumi.html)

also, what plants would be good to help naturally keep my water clean? my only filtration is gonna be plants and water changes.

if i need more sand depth i can get a vase that is 10"L x 4"W x 14"T

i would also love other glass container recommendations (with links hopefully)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That's too short in my opinion... I think you should just go with a standard 2.5g from Petco. Those are 12" x 6" x 8" tall. It would fit on a 6" shelf. Those vases sound awkward to work with, imo.

But to answer your question, you can pretty much only use carpet plants and moss in a tank that short. And as far as filtration, I guess floating plants would be your best bet, but I think you'd be better off at least putting a sponge filter in there if not a nano hob.

·
Registered
931 Posts
you could definitely not go wrong with mosses, but i might also suggest some emersed plants to just grow up out of the tank. A lot of pet stores sell their plants in emersed form anyway, like DHG. DHG growing up out of a small tank looks really cool IMO. Get a stronger light to put up further above the tank and use some pond plants with moss growing along the substrate.

i also agree that you shouldnt use the tiny vases, there just wouldnt be enough room for the sand and the plants. get a 2.5! :)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Yup, basically any carpet plant is going to be what works.

One other thing, even though I doubt you want stem plants...I find in my low light 10 that they have much smaller leaves, grow more densely and fit into a smaller tank much better than my high light 29 with co2. I don't know what your lighting plans are but plants can look totally different in different lighting/co2 situations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts