The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well, I hate to bother everyone, but I was wondering what plants do well in the temperatures preferred by my cynopsis orientalis (fire belly newt.) These are a temperate species, so, on average, we're talking of a temperature of around 65-72 degrees. Now, I know that mosses do well in these cooler climes, but what about other plants? Personally, I was considering riccia, dwarf hairgrass, and hm, along with red root floaters, but what would anyone else advise? Anyway, I appreciate any input.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Many plants do very well in colder temperatures. My pond iced over pretty heavily this year, but the Sags and Vals are still looking good :hihi:

Many plants that you find in our tanks come from temperate climates. Maybe ask the question the other way around -- which plants will NOT work? My guess is that some of the Sword Plants will not like it too cold, Barclayas, things like that.

But 65-72 would be suitable for the majority of plants that we grow. Some will even do better, or look different.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool- I assumed that most would do o.k., but it's great to get some affirmation. I would be truly interested to see if any of the plants demonstrated different characteristics under these circumstances, so it'll be an interesting experiment. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I did a bit of research when planning two unheated projects. In some genera, like cryptocoryne, while most species needed warmer temps there were one or two species that broke the norm and did fine with cool water temperatures.

While this list is not comprehensive, and in no particular order:

Cabomba caroliniana....61-79F
Cardamine lyrata....58-68F
Lysimachia nummularia....50-72F
Riccia fluitans....59-86F
Vallisneria spiralis....59-86F
Hottonia palustris....<65F
Echinodorus tenellus....62-80F
E. horemanii....64-79F
Myriophyllum aquatica....64-86F
Cryptocoryne willisii....66-82F
Bacopa caroliniana....68-82F
Numphar japonica....54-77F
Aponogeton crispus....68-80F
A. madagascariensis....64-74F
A. ulvaceus....64-82F
Hydrocotyle verticillata....50-76F

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been wondering the same since I'll be setting up a large unheated tank. Room temp is usually around 70. Dips down to 68 in cool weather, up to around 74-76 in summer. Looks like most of the plants I was thinking about thier minimum temp is 68-70 so I'll be sitting on the edge, especially in cool weather. Hopefully this will be ok? My planned stocking list is java fern, several crypts like wendtii and spiralis, aponogetons, crinums, and a few swords including amazon and red rubin, dwarf sag, and anubias nana. I have been thinking of a few stems, but want to avoid plants I have to prune lots.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You guys are running warm tanks, my 55 gallon was unheated and about 55 degrees. My arm hurt when I was rescaping it. The only plants growing were some giant vals.

I added a heater yesterday to get the temp up, I am surprised the vals were alive at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.