The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is cycled. Should I put plants are fish first? Already searched plant ph. etc. Fish searched ph. etc. for coexisting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think most would recommend plants first. Adding plants, you can better begin with ferts/lighting, and dealing with any algae issues as plants adjust. Adding fish then plants, you might have a good formula for algae outbreaks due to the increased waste and inability for filter to keep up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jayzimm3. appreciate the advise.

I think most would recommend plants first. Adding plants, you can better begin with ferts/lighting, and dealing with any algae issues as plants adjust. Adding fish then plants, you might have a good formula for algae outbreaks due to the increased waste and inability for filter to keep up
Should I fertilize the water before I plant?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm - I’d imagine it wouldn’t matter much , probably plant first, but I’d defer to others with more experience on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve always read one doesn’t fertilize new plants for about a week. Let them acclimate first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To be fair - I think some of that will matter a bit too on what substrate you are using. Some of the Aqua soils have a ton of nutrients in them so unless you’re certain with what you are doing then it’s best to wait a bit for the plants to soak that stuff up initially.

If I understand the original question, the water itself doesn’t need to be fertilized before hand, albeit some clay based substrate will soak up some of those ferts and be available to your root feeders, but I don’t think that matters all that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
22 Posts
Plants should have been in the tank while cycling.. u can add fish and plants at the same time really and u could start ferts right away if using co2. If your not using co2 your fish food/waste will probably be enough fertilizer for your plants and you will never even need to add any ( also depending on the type of plants n lighting u have).

·
Super Moderator
16,108 Posts
Plants should have been in the tank while cycling.. u can add fish and plants at the same time really and u could start ferts right away if using co2. If your not using co2 your fish food/waste will probably be enough fertilizer for your plants and you will never even need to add any ( also depending on the type of plants n lighting u have).
Generally, in this hobby, you need to cycle your tank before adding livestock. It's terrible advice to suggest otherwise unless someone is well-established with enough experience to know what they're doing. Please put in effort to avoid confusing newcomers.

In most tanks, fish food and waste are not enough to fertilize plants - especially not anything heavily planted. But leftover food and overfeeding can certainly lead to parameter instability and ammonia explosions that can kill sensitive fish and most invertebrates like shrimp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts