The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my blyxxa japonica survive? It is somewhat brown with very few green leaves left. I just got it in the mail today and was curious on whether or not you guys/gals think it would turn around.

·
Super Moderator
11,935 Posts
A picture would be more helpful in determine whether the B. japonica can be saved or not.

You can try removing the brown leaves, and planting it, in hopes that it will bounce back.

However, B. japonica tends to melt a bit when moved from one water condition to another, so it may not survive.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
With medium light, injected CO2, and root and dry ferts, blyxa japonica did fine moving into my hi-tech tank after arriving. I put a couple stems into my low-light, low-tech tank for an experiment, and those stems started yellowing after a few weeks, so I tossed them.

Remember, blyxa grows to about 4 inches ...and stops. Of all the plants i've grown over the past 6 months or so, blyxa is one of the prettiest, and yet least impressive. Aside from pushing itself out of the substrate and occasionally growing new stem systems, blyxa japonica is fairly predictable and not necessitating any maintenance.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
They do look pretty bad. I would leave them in the tank for a few days and keep a close eye on them. If they start to melt and die off, then remove them. I have had Blyxa bounce back from some real bad conditions, but its 50/50.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm alright thanks. Hopefully they will come back. I really wanted some of these guys i love them :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts