The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason a plant which would normally propagate quickly and send of runners would not do so, at all?

I have two tanks going, a high-tech and a low-tech. In the former I have dwarf chain sword and sag. platyphylla, in the latter are cryptocoryne and vals.

Not a single one of them will multiply. They grow new leaves without a problem though, so the pants have become nice and full, but the plants I have seem to be the only ones I get.

The only things the two tanks have in common are the tap water and the ecocomplete substrate.

The thing is I've been thinking of getting an R/O filter, but would hate to waste the money if it didn't end up helping.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10 gallon, 15w T8, almost no ferts

29 gallon, 72w T5HO, dosing 4x flourish twice per week, 3x iron every other day, nitrates to about 20ppm, 4x phosphorous once per week.

I'll be starting a dry fert routine when I run out of seachem stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
15 watts over the 10 gallon is not enough light IMO even for low light.. I have 2X 15 watt right ontop of a 10 gallon and get very slow growth.

Are you using any type of CO2 for the 29 gallon? And how high are your lights from the substrate?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22 inches from light to substrate, pressurized co2 on the high tech. I'm not concerned about growth, but it's puzzling me why I get growth but not propagation :/

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's fair enough - truth is I'm going to transfer the 10 gallon to a 20 long and add a 2x18w T5 strip to it.

But in regards to my other tank, you guys are telling me that too much light can interfere with propagation?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think the real issue is the ferts, once you switch over to a full spectrem dry regiment I think you'll have better results. Without maxing out the amount of ferts in your water column it doesn't matter if you add more light and C02 your just going to get an algae bloom.

The lighting in your 29 is fine I have fast growth with less in a 29gal high-tech tank.

~

Light is only a trigger for C02 uptake when it's on and O2 out-gassing when it's off.

- Brad

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to have a pretty thick lawn of dwarf sagg and echinodorus tennelus (micro sword). The key is to use fertilizer tabs, Duplarit, or whatever. THey don't seem to respond much to ferts in the water column, but I guarantee that if you add a big chunk of fertilizer to the root area it will send out a runner.
Also I used CO2...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts