The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small school of them in my 125g, and just love them. BUT they eat plants.:eek:

Lets compile a running list.

If you have kept BATs in your planted tank before or currently, what plants have they eaten?

For me its ONLY been DHG.

1. DHG

add to the list please.

·
Registered
762 Posts
1. DHG
2. duckweed

They love duckweed, not that I'm complaining...

They don't touch my java fern or java moss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They eat two different plants in my tank. One is Glossostigma (sp?) and the other is a type of sword plant with really thin leaves and shoots off in runners. I'd post a pic if I could, but yea, they definitely are the only ones that devour plants in my 90 gallon planted tetra tank.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
stem plants. All stem plants. But it's not like they mow the forest down. They just take chunks out here and there.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Water wistira, jungal vals, anubus, crypts.. I could make quite a list of what mine ate.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They eat two different plants in my tank. One is Glossostigma (sp?) and the other is a type of sword plant with really thin leaves and shoots off in runners. I'd post a pic if I could, but yea, they definitely are the only ones that devour plants in my 90 gallon planted tetra tank.

they don't touch my MM.

Water wistira, jungal vals, anubus, crypts.. I could make quite a list of what mine ate.
interesting. I have a ton of crypts and anubias in with mine and they don't seem to touch them at all.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
add Blyxa to the list:frown:

1. DHG
2. Duckweed
3. Glosso
4. Swords
5. Wisteria
6. Vals
7. anubias
8. crypts??
9. Blyxa

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might vary by the individual tetras involved...have you tried giving them some vegetables in their diet? That may help.

yeah, offer spinach and zucchini.

I have 13 of them in a tank full of ferns, crypts, anubias, and MM.

they have eaten ever blade of DHG and are now nibbling the blyxa down to a nub. I understand the risk i undertook when adding them to the tank, i just LOVE the way BATs school and their size. I actually am looking to add another 12 of them or Congos (if i can find them).

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Here is my list that Buenos Aires Tetras ate:
Hygro sunset
Hair grass
Baby tears
Limnophila Sessiliflora
Watermilfoil
Downoi

Pristellia Tetra and Lemon Tetra ate these plants too. I added Pelia to twart them but it didn't work. Now in planted tank just have Black Neon Tetra and Silvertipped Tetra. Pet Smart has them on sale at times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts