The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I just leave them in a bucket? With or without a light? What’s my timetable before they would die or issues arise?

Plants:

Ludwigia Super Red
Dwarf Echinodorus Parviflorus
Cryptocoryne Balansae ×
Echinodorus Kleiner Prinz
Bucephalandra Alamanda Blue
Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'
Cryptocoryne Lucens - Bare Root

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
You can leave them in a bucket for a day or 2 (if your area is cold/unheated, make sure the water is heated).

You do not need a light if it is for a short time. Do expect some die back though, particularly form the Crypts.

I would try to set up the aquarium as soon as possible (you do not need to cycle it prior to planting)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would take them out of the bags and submerse them in water/let them float. Put the container they are floating on a window ledge/as close to a window as possible. If you have your liquid fertilizer I would give a squirt into the container as well. In that state they can go a week or so before you run into problems. (assuming they are getting light from the window)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Apologies if this is OT but just for clarification, it's ok to plant before cycling? I planted a tank with ADA Aquasoil and was concerned about the big ammonia spikes. Most of them are fine but I wasn't sure if it was just luck. TY.

I had the same problem with timing, wound up doing what @minorhero suggested and it worked out fine :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Apologies if this is OT but just for clarification, it's ok to plant before cycling? I planted a tank with ADA Aquasoil and was concerned about the big ammonia spikes. Most of them are fine but I wasn't sure if it was just luck. TY.

I had the same problem with timing, wound up doing what @minorhero suggested and it worked out fine :)

Not only is it ok to add plants before cycle is done, there is a good bit of evidence that says it will help the cycle go faster. The plants can use the low amounts of ammonia in an uncycled aquarium as plant food. And they of course are providing more surface area for beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might have not been mentioned on this post and only on my journal but I had to finish resealing the tank.

The plants are in now!

Pictures will be in the tank journal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well....this was my first adventure with ADA Aquasoil ("nature tank" edition) and the first couple weeks saw massive ammonia spikes...but yeah the tank was cycled in 21 days and the plants no worse for wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts