The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 17g I have AC70 and small powerhead that makes a gentle movement for the plants. I got rasboras and they seem to swim better without the powerhead. My AC70 creates a surface agitation but nothing on the other side of the tank. Will the plants be ok without water movement, or am I inviting algae? thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
In my 17g I have AC70 and small powerhead that makes a gentle movement for the plants. I got rasboras and they seem to swim better without the powerhead. My AC70 creates a surface agitation but nothing on the other side of the tank. Will the plants be ok without water movement, or am I inviting algae? thanks
Water movement is a good thing to help dispurse nutrients. Plants are ok without it, but if its so much that it disturbs your fish it is up to you.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
some plants need it more than others. if nothing else i would stick an air stone on the other side of the tank and then it will create some movement and you wont have to have the power head going

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
You can buy tiny 50 GPH submersible powerheads from ebay for about $7 shipped. Just get a couple of those to circulate the water in the tank. Bubblers tend to degass the water of all CO2 and your plants need CO2.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Is there a problem with the filter? I ran an AC 70 on a 20 gallon, and it created a LOT of water movement. To add a PH to that would have made water slosh over the rim.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the AC70 works just fine, it sits on far end side of the tank and the other end is stagnant. With the korallia 240 powerhead pointing the other direction, it gives a gentle movement to the plants but the rasboras seem to struggle, I get tired just watching them. Its either I get the smaller powerhead, or I'm thinking of opening up the scape for them, more room to swim. The circulation never bothers my over 100 baby RCS. Oh well, it's always fun to rescape, like having a new tank:). gotta accommodate them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts