The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 gallon planted tank with Java Ferns, Asian Ambulia, and one other green plant with a long central stem and broad leaves (don't know the species). I would like to introduce snails mainly as a food source for my clown loaches, but a snail species that will not harm the plants.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
well, I've yet to come across a snail that actually does damage to my plants. perhaps it's because I feed them... but my pond snails and ramshorn snails have done NO harm at all to my plants yet. Even my Mystery (brig?) snail does no damage to the plants unless he's starving (one leaf of blanched spinache takes care of THAT problem, not that I'd recommend mysteries as a food supply for your fish...). Malaysian Trumpet Snails also don't do any damage, but they tend to be down in the substrate and have abnormally hard shells and therefore aren't the best idea as a food supply.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many loaches do you have? They are quite effective and will clean out a lot of snails quickly. I have not been able to sustain a snail population when there is a Clown Loach in the tank. You could keep the snails in another tank and transfer them whenever their numbers become excessive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 4 small loaches now, but they are doing very well so I want to get 10 or 15 more because they do well in large groups and are so entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not sure there is a snail out there that could keep up with 15 or more loaches.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, loaches are great. I was having a snail problem in my 90g. Last weekend, I bought two clown loaches and already I can see a decrease in both snails and snail eggs. I'm planning on getting one or two more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 4 small loaches now, but they are doing very well so I want to get 10 or 15 more because they do well in large groups and are so entertaining to watch.
:help: watertank, you do realize clowns reach sizes of 15-17 inches and the recomended MINIMUM size tank is 100 gallons on the average right?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Clowns get big but, in my experience, it takes a while. A school would certainly be impressive but don't count on any snails surviving to reproduce :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why cant you just feed your loaches fish food? I keep malaysian trumpet snails in my tank, they dont seem to eat the plants but there is no way you're going to keep your loaches fed for a long time on snails.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Clowns get big but, in my experience, it takes a while. A school would certainly be impressive but don't count on any snails surviving to reproduce :)

So in 3 or 4 years, you, what? Flush 20 or so large loaches?

·
Registered
210 Posts
i dotn knwo i just noticed that all other snails in my tank are dead but rams live on wich is cool cause i like the rams and trumpets.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Only some apple snails will eat plants. And those don't come as hitchhikers on plants. At least, they never have for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts