The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, music affects plants greatly, as it was proven in Mythbusters. I saw the episode one more time today, and I thought, maybe this works in aquatic plants?!

Anyone every try this? Have an aquarium near a source of music? I think I'm gonna start doing this, taking in consideration how much electricity it would use. According to Mythbusters, Death Metal was the better for plants than was classical music, but both showed much more growth and health than talking to them continuously. Also they did a control with silence and those plants did terribly.

And can someone tell me the science behind this? Or did the Mythbusters mess up in making a fair test and nothing should've happened?

Just thought it would be an interesting topic :-D.

·
Registered
705 Posts
the myth has been around forever mythbusters are usually pretty good at breaking the myths without too many variables i think there pretty solid when they say that the myth is conformed it truly is.

Im sure that aquatic plants would get a similar affect to music as non aquatic ones would also sound travels underwater easier than in air so that might help a bit ? Also strangely my hairgrass shot off a while ago ( it hadint grown at all for about a year) and now that I think back i played my guitar alot in that month ( the month alot of the growth occurd) but many things happpend in the tank at that time so i cant really say much. It would indeed be a cool expermient though

·
Registered
862 Posts
My computer/music/fish room are one and the same. My tanks get blasted by my singing and playing daily and the music I listen toas well. They are doing pretty well...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
And can someone tell me the science behind this?
I'm surprised Mythbusters didn't include some explanation in their program.

I'd guess that because plant cells have rigid walls, they are more effected by sound vibration. Perhaps the vibration helps these rigid cell walls to be more flexible during cell growth expansion, cell division, nutrient admittance and waste expulsion.
A natural similarity could be drawn by comparing plants that thrive in the wind or water current, to those generally grown in still stable environments. My guess would be plants subjected to more natural movement will be stimulated to grow further than sedentary plants.
I realize that plants in water current will probably grow more as they have better access to fresh nutrients than sedentary plants. plants in the wind would not grow larger for the same reason, but they would propagate more as their seeds are potentially spread a further distance from the parent plant (who's roots don't have to compete for the same nutrients) thanks to the wind.
That does not mean motion is not a mitigation factor, simply that natural movement of plants cannot be a direct correlation to the benefits we may observe from a plants proximity to sound.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe nice. But according to the Mythbusters, mean words at a mean tone did not have a difference between nice words at a nice and happy tone. They experimented with two women and they had contradicting results. For Kari, the plants exposed to nice voices were healthier while for Scottie, the plants exposed to mean voices were healthier.

And if plants had feelings I think they'd be better with Classical music than Death Metal lol. I guess more sound vibrations are better and does not matter how violent they are. I guess there is a point where they will do worse.

I'll do a little experiment someday... According to you guys, this may have some truth to it, but there are no constants so we can't say anything scientifically. Need to use my speakers more now!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Haha cool.....

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
Don't give them rap, rap kills them!
aaaaww.... don't let your personal feelings get in the way.

actually... rap music often has loud base noises, which is specifically what plants respond to.

from data ive seen, the emotion behind the music has nothing to do with it. blue whale calls, and other low frequency noises have been shown to posess the right wavelength noise to stimulate plant growth better than other noises.

specifically what about the low frequency noise makes plants grow wasn't known when i was reading these kinds of studies... things could have changed since then.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hmm, well some plants must be different... Someone in our school did an experiment on plants and music, the rap listening plant was dead.

·
Registered
562 Posts
aaaaww.... don't let your personal feelings get in the way.

actually... rap music often has loud base noises, which is specifically what plants respond to.

from data ive seen, the emotion behind the music has nothing to do with it. blue whale calls, and other low frequency noises have been shown to posess the right wavelength noise to stimulate plant growth better than other noises.

specifically what about the low frequency noise makes plants grow wasn't known when i was reading these kinds of studies... things could have changed since then.
If what you say is true, then lots and lots of Tool should get the plants growing like... like... like water wisteria.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I had an ivy plant one time that I played music for it to listen to. I would play Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" a few times a day. I didn't see any difference the first week, but on the second week; that ivy started climbing up the wall. I was amazed!

I did this for about a month and then I switched songs. I started playing "Up on the Roof" by the Drifters a few times a day. That ivy plant started growing for the window to get out. It was heading for the roof!

Then, after another month, I started playing "Twistin' the Night Away" by Sam Cooke. It ended up being just a big knot of ivy. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
452 Posts
AHAHA, that's hilarious, Left C. Interesting idea. :) Maybe I should install some speakers next to my tanks.

Would have a TV next to the tank help? Same idea, no?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So techno music would be the best? Booming bass. I guess you need some good quality speakers as well that can handle the bass. Would loud filters actually make your plants healthier?!

And I dunno about rap music causing dead plants. I bet something went wrong with that plant that had nothing to do with rap music.

In the mythbusters episode, near the end of the experiment, the water supply malfunctioned and the plants had a week without water. What happened was that the control (no music) was dead, the ones with a continuous track of insults or compliments were yellow/dying but still alive, and the ones with music were big and perky and nice and green. All the plants were affected the same way. No water for a week.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts