The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my 29 gallon for the past week and finally got it up and running yesterday. The substrate is MGOCPM capped with safe-t-sorb. I sifted and boiled the miracle gro the day before using it. Today the nitrates are up around 40+ ppm (no ammonia and 0.25 ppm nitrites) with an established AC20 and new AC20 running for circulation till the sump/refugium is plumbed to the tank, and no fish. I have moved my proserpinaca palustris and purple cabomba over already. With the nitrates up higher like this what plants are safe for me to put in immediately from the list below?

Plants to be moved from my 20 gallon
- Ludwigia sp. 'atlantis' (3 stems)
- Ammania sp. 'bonsai' (true rotala indica, 4 stems)
- Rotala rotundifolia (50-60 stems)
- Limnophila aromatica (2 stems)
- Eriocaulon cinereum

Along with the stem plants I added permanently, I also added a bunch of amazon frogbit, a few decent size mats of riccia, and 12 stems of sunset hygro temporarily as nitrate sponges. I should know these things by now, but I don't want to kill my plants that have so much work into them. Any insight into this is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Aquarium Plants & Nitrates

Hello Chevy...

Nitrates in the 40 ppm range aren't going to present a problem for aquarium plants, they use forms of nitrogen for food. You can aquascape your tank however you want, whenever.

B

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice! I guess I am just paranoid since I have never had nitrates up that high, even with dosing KNO3. So, I am going to move forward with the rest of my plants.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My tank was running in the 80ppm for a long time till the plant growth caught up with nitrate now it are 20 to 40 more on the low side fish are fine plants are somewhat happy happy happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts