The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Planted my first tank last friday and all plants seem to be doing well so far except for my wisteria which happens to be planted right next to my 300w heater. I know there's a ton of variables that can cause a plant to not do well , especially my lack of knowledge. I was just wondering if planting next to a heater is a big no no i wasn't aware of. I should also mention my water is at 78F.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
One picture is worth...
Usually I put a heater just behind the discharge flow for the filter so it draws water
across the heater. I also often put it in close to the pick up for the filter. Plants do usually go in front of either to block the view of them, but the flow is mixing cooler water with the heated water then. Actually in both my tanks I have now the heater is in the filter. I build in my filters.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I know my anacharis leaves melted and the stem turned black when it touched my eheim jagar heater. My dwarf gourami also deiced to fall asleep against the heater and damage his lower 'lip' (probably dreaming of a nice female) twice so now I have plastic craft store mesh 'cage' around the heater so nothing touches it but water. Its not the prettiest but it works.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have wisteria on one side, and sprite on the other. Both are doing fine next to the heater. Then again its just a 50w (aqueon pro) in a 10gal, so its not like it gets that hot to begin with.

Im thinking maybe being a 300w, it puts out a lot more heat in the immediate vicinity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.