The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting up a 55 gal planted tank, i was just wondering if anyone knows of any good online stores with the best prices and healthy plants and fish?
also is it a good idea to buy online? being that the water could be a lot different where i live than where the fish and plants come from.
dont local stores have most of there fish and plants shipped from different areas?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never ordered fish online, but Wednesday I order two Crypt blassi from Aquabotanic.com. They should be in my hands by tomorrow. I'll let you know how they arrived.
Unlike some others, Robert at Aquabotanic doesn't have a minimum purchase requirement. I didn't need $25-35 of plants (that's before the shipping cost). I have these coming to me for what amounts to less than $9 a plant. Considering no place here in Tulsa had them, that's not a bad price to pay.

·
Registered
740 Posts
+1 for Robert at AquaBotanic- I've never been disappointed in the quality of his plants (and they don't come with "hitchhikers" like alot of plants from the swap and shop- I'm just sayin'), although he once substituted a micro sword when he was temporarily out of stock on the HC I had ordered. Never bought fish online, but InvertzFactory sold me some nice nerite snails recently- I would imagine they do a great job with fish also.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You really shouldn't have any issues with fish coming from different water parameters as long as you do a good acclimation. When I get fish online I always do a drip acclimation. It is really quite easy. All you need is a length of air line tubing and a cheap gang valve like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752202&lmdn=Fish

Empty the fish out of the shipping bag into a container that will hold 2 to 3 times the water in the bag. Drop one end of the tubing from the gang valve into the aquarium and the other end in the container with the fish. Very slightly open the gang valve. Start a suction flow from the tank to the container. I just suck on it to get it started. Adjust the valve so there is a slow drip coming from the aquarium to the container. For me it usually takes about 1 hour to fill the container with water from my tank. I then net the fish and put them into the tank.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
For fish, hands-down I recommend invertzfactory.com, which is a sponsor here so you might see one of their banners at the top of this page. They don't do plants though, but I recommend getting your plants from other members, here on the swap-n-shop.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Cryptocoryne 'blassii' were waiting for me when I got home Friday! They arrived safely and I am impressed. If I cannot find what I want around town, I am definitely going to order from Robert at Aquabotanic.com again! No more settling for something I can find rather than something I really want! :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts