The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot that HOB filters which i have no idea what it stands for i wont lie (i googled it) is what i have are not a good option for a planted tank even before researching that i kinda had guessed that due to the amount of water it moves around so i purchased a top skimmer and hooked it to my filter the water is taken manly off the top i am going to try to find a sponge that fits on the bottom part of the intake on the skimmer to keep my plants and any fry from getting sucked up.

would this be sufficient? i can not afford a canister filter so thats not an option. when the tank is full the water coming back into the tank from the filter is slow and not too much water movement comes from it oh and the filter i have also has a bio-falls insert

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
HOB Power Filter Info.

Hello ang...

I use Aqua Clear HOBs (Hang on the Back) on all my planted tanks. These power filters are great for planted tanks. I have them on my 30 G tanks up to my 55 G tanks. I keep about 1,000 Fancy Guppies in the tanks and occasionally a fry or two swims too close and gets sucked up into the filter, but it doesn't hurt them. If you're concerned, there are cheap plastic covers that you can put over the intake tube or you can use small pieces of nylon stockings to cover it.

PM me if you need to know some specifics.

B

·
Registered
243 Posts
I moved from a HOB to an canister filter recently, mainly for noise and aesthetic reasons.

As far as filtration goes, as long as you get a HOB with enough flow rate (general rule of thumb is 3x your tank volume / hr is plenty) they are fine as far as filtration goes.

The downsides: You have this big thing hanging on the back of your tank (people like their planted tanks to be super-pretty) and when your water level starts to get low, the water falls over the edge of the filter and makes a trickling noise. Neither factor changes performance but are reasons that people prefer canister filters.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am a big fan of HOB filters. I think that for a smaller (55g or less) tank they are a great option; they are inexpensive, there are plenty to choose from, and almost any problem that you have can be fixed easily and cheaply with stuff you probably already have in your house. They do make noise, but in my opinion the trickle of water can be nice and relaxing. Sure they splash a bit if your water gets too low, but if this bothers you just keep your tank topped off and your problem is solved. You can use a sponge or panty-hose as a pre-filter if you need to, but unless you are keeping and breeding shrimps or other really small critters, they may not even be necessary. In my tanks, I never see much of the filter beyond the intake and outflow because the rest of the filter is hidden by plants and my light fixture. As long as your filter works, then stick with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! i may do the panty hose thing just cause i dont like it sucking up anything on the bottom also i want to make a java fern wall and some of it will be near the intake and i dont want it going into the filter as well. that is once my java fern grows enough to trim it and have enough for the wall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys! i may do the panty hose thing just cause i dont like it sucking up anything on the bottom also i want to make a java fern wall and some of it will be near the intake and i dont want it going into the filter as well. that is once my java fern grows enough to trim it and have enough for the wall.
i ment moss wall eep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.