The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my Mosquitofish and my new plants for my outside tank. But before right now the plants are in a bucket and I am wondering how to plant them:

Water Lettuce
Water Sprite
Bannana Plant
Parrots Feather

Now I know the Water Lettuce floats but the other three is what Im wondering about. The water Sprite has roots but it actually has no stem to place in the gravel. The Parrots Feather is a bit tricky to plant, any tips on keeping it down? And should the Bannana Plant be attached to something?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
water lettuce = floats
water sprite = just like any other stem plant
banana plant = bury 2/3 of the base down
parrots feather = just like any other stem plant.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been a ponderer for years and never planted my parrot's feather. It did just fine on it's own, growing and floating around the ponds. One year, some rooted itself in a pot and really took off! So you can do it either way. If you find it grows too fast, just uproot it and let it float.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been a ponderer for years and never planted my parrot's feather. It did just fine on it's own, growing and floating around the ponds. One year, some rooted itself in a pot and really took off! So you can do it either way. If you find it grows too fast, just uproot it and let it float.
Actually if it grows fast I have extra stems to plant(I have 2 stems) and sell :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
There ya' go! :) If that's your goal, then you might want to fertilize, too, if you haven't planned on that already. That'll make them JUMP up out of the pot!

I've used chunks of Jobe's fruit tree spikes, broken up with a hammer, stuck in the dirt in the pot with it ~ a piece about half an inch long in a gallon pot, one inch in a three gallon. That's what I feed my water lilies since the extra P & K help with blooming, so I just put some in all my pond plants' pots since I have them already. I don't know if it's the best for the parrot's feather, but it works well enough for me.

This year though, I've been thinking about trying some house plant spikes in the pots of parrot's feather and other "leafy" pond plants (papyrus, reeds, water clover, etc.), the ones that aren't usually grown for their blooms. The house plant spikes have more N and that's what leafy plants need. That might cut back on the unused ferts in the water and help keep it a bit clearer, too.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's why it's better to use some sort of solid fertilizer, not a powder, and poke it down into the soil in the pot ~ less fert in the water column more in the soil around the roots of the plant.

But is this a pond, or more of an aquarium? Are your plants going to be in substrate spread out on the bottom or in pots with soil in the pot? If it's not a real pond, my advise might not be good for you since advise for a true pond might not be what you need. :icon_conf I'm definitely experienced with ponds and pond plants like the parrot's feather (been "pondering" for years), but not very with planted tanks/aquariums (yet! :biggrin:).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.