The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey can I plant something this big? Its tall really tall I was thinking a planted cichlid tank as I have a Albino Dinosaur Bichir and want him to stop eating my shrimp and have tank mates that go with him not in him. Any ideas on a tank that’s over 2 and 1/2 feet tall? Tank will have Co2 as I just bought a 100lb tank for 85 bucks:hihi:

The tank is not going to be where it is in the pic its temp till i work out where im going to put it wich is why the mops and brooms are all over the place :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Be careful about the outside light coming in through those windows. That could cause some algae issues if not addressed. Putting a black background should do the trick.
How tall is your tank? I have a 24" tall tank and had worries about getting light down in there, but was told that anything less than ~28" isn't really an issue. It's when you get over that, that you need to look for more intense light. I would go with MH or T5s for your tank there. One or two MH pendants of 150w or more, depending on how many you need to get within the 2-3wpg range. Circulation can be tricky on odd-shaped tanks too. You might want to get two canister filters, placing the two spraybars at different heights and different angles, to ensure sufficient flow. Insufficient flow is one of the most overlooked things in a planted tank. I used to shrug it off, but its actually quite important.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be careful about the outside light coming in through those windows. That could cause some algae issues if not addressed. Putting a black background should do the trick.

The tank wont be staying there its just there temp. :) the backround is black and it has a overflow sump setup in the tank i am going to use a large pump and a double spray bar setup the tank is 2 feet 8 inches tall from tank floor to top water line.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lots of tall plant choices. Two to name a few are Cyperus helferi and Crypt balansae. Also an extra deep substrate (8 inches in the back) will make planting and maintenance less of a chore. You'll want some long tweezers/scissors too.

Also most/many stems will grow as tall as they can. Such as the Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal wavy" that I have. It would easily get that tall. I've always been fond of deep tanks myself.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think that tank would look great with some giant vals on one end waving in the current. A background of L. aromatica, L. glandlusa, a center piece of Tiger lotus. A couple of nice long pieces of thin driftwood wrapped in moss, some java fern and a couple of kinds of Anubias. A big stand of H. polysperma "sunset" in a corner opposite the vals. A mid ground of Blyxa aubertii then stepping down to a forground Blyxa japonica.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think that tank would look great with some giant vals on one end waving in the current. A background of L. aromatica, L. glandlusa, a center piece of Tiger lotus. A couple of nice long pieces of thin driftwood wrapped in moss, some java fern and a couple of kinds of Anubias. A big stand of H. polysperma "sunset" in a corner opposite the vals. A mid ground of Blyxa aubertii then stepping down to a forground Blyxa japonica.
Wow, that sounds perfect.

Re: Swords, they really do get big after a while and actually do better in mid to higher light in my experience. But I love them. If I had a 180 gallon, I would keep a Bleheri for sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Jungle Vals get extremely tall...just another one to throw in the mix. :)

Oh, and very nice tank, btw. The DH just recently announced to me that he wants a corner tank for our home office. Just when I thought the 135 would be the last for us! :hihi:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
In addition to whats already been mentioned, Crinum and Aponogeton can easily grow much taller than your tank. Crypt Spiralis is another good tall one. A tall tank is really no different, just make sure you have enough light for the size of tank, you may need just a little bit more when your talking 30"+. The main problem with tall tanks is planting them and maintanence. Its really difficult to reach the bottom to put a plant in. Tongs may help but sometimes its so much easier to use your fingers. I'm setting up a 31" tall tank myself (soon). Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.