The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred way to plant TC samples in PF sand? I've had my fill of imported snails, etc, so I recently ordered tissue cultured rotala rotundifolia, expecting smaller versions of the RR available from the local shops, but received a dense mat of tiny plants. They stayed in place as inch-sized chunks until the light went off but were all floating individually or clogging the filter the next morning. Planting each of those by hand seems an exercise in frustration.

Should I go back to potassium permanganate baths for more mature plants instead?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is very tedious, but you're best bet is to try to separate the individual stems and plant them one by one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is very tedious, but you're best bet is to try to separate the individual stems and plant them one by one.
Plus the sand doesn't hold well and so can't plant densely without uprooting everything else nearby. I thought about planting larger swatches to be held down by a hairnet or similar, but suspect it would dislodge the plants when it's finally removed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if you're using tweezers to plant but I also just recently replanted a PFS tank with a bunch of TC rotala. I cut the stem mat mess into 2-3 inch portions and planted with tweezers at an angle about 1-2 cm deep. Planting densely can be tough but if you wiggle the stem around before letting go slightly and removing the tweezers they eventually all hold each other down. Be sure to put any root tabs into place before the stems. Just takes practice!

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
TC can be a lot of fun to plant! And if you can manage to keep them in place they will soon yield a lot of healthy plant mass, especially for stem plants (if they have enough nutrients).
  • use tweezers for sure
  • Seperate them into single stems or bunches of 3-6 stems per cluster (smaller clusters seem to be less buoyant).
  • Plant them at a slight angle not straight down, this helps anchor them a little better.
  • Carefully relax the pressure on the tweezers and slowly ease it out to avoid the plant from coming up with it (it probably still will every 5th time).
  • Plant them deep! Only a couple little leaves need to be above the substrate, they will reach for the light (again to help keep them in place).
  • Try to avoid putting them in direct flow or where active fish mess around. If you want them to be in direct flow, I’ve actually had success making little potters out of the TC cups before with some substrate in it, placed the pot in a calmer area of the tank, then transplanted them to the high traffic area once they got a little bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.