The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some pics, etc. where people tie plant roots to rocks and drift wood over my months of looking and started to wonder...Can this be done with any plant? i would assume the plant would need to be planted, but I'm new and a little ignorant. Are there only certain plants like java fern that can be tied to rock or wood or is it a universal thing? Do the roots eventually find their way to the substrate or stay around the solid peice?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think its mostly Anubias, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, and Moss/Fissidens... perhaps a few others. Not stems or bulbs, just plants with a rhizome or free floaters like moss. The plants can survive on nutrients in the water column. That said, I've noticed my Anubias on wood have long roots running straight toward the substrate.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Actually anything with a Rhizome is "supposed" to be uncovered, however i am sure that this is debatable by many members here. From what I have noticed is that if the rhizome is buried in the substrate it just grows really really really slow as opposed to unburied, but i think it depends on which plant it is and the condition of the rhizome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.