The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just recieved a bunch of potted plants (mostly stems)
There is a TON in each pot. Should I separate into individual stems? I feel like I am ripping something. The plants I got are:

Alternanthera reineckii 'Roseafolia' Scarlet Hygro

Bacopa australis
Glosso

Lilaeopsis mauritiana Micro Sword

Ludwigia arcuata

Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' (Mayaca)

How should I go about planting these?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The growing medium needs to be removed and most of the roots are going to be gone with it. Aquatics use roots for anchoring more than nutrient transport and definitely NOT for water transport so don't be concerned about losing roots.

Just be careful of the crowns between the roots and leaves of the microsword and glosso, the other stems don't have crowns. I think handling tiny plants by the roots is safer than by the leaves. I have only bought hairgrass in pots and I removed all the media and divided into 2-5 crown sections to plant. It is up to you if you want to completely divide and plant like that. It is a huge amount of work but the tank looks more mature right away.

Definitely divide the larger stems into individual plants and plant a leaf's width apart but you can just divide the short stuff into groups you can handle easily.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand how to plant the microsword...I doesn't even look like it has root, its just a big mat. Also will the taller stems be okay if some are in small groups? There are literally hundreds of individual stems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For microsword, I broke my matt up into small pieces. Small pieces with maybe 5 pieces with some roots on it and then used tweezers to root the plant. Works well enough, it is time consuming though. I planted each bunch an inch or two apart from each other. Took a while for it to fill in.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Healthy microsword and hairgrass rhizomes send up new leaves quickly. I'd suggest just breaking it up into small sections and planting. Anyone who has tried to remove a carpet of these plants can attest to the fact that new leaves always seem to come back up, even when you think you've gotten rid of all the roots.

The problem with hairgrass is that it's usually grown emersed, meaning the old blades will melt off over time. Microsword leaves don't melt off as quickly, if at all when transitioning.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just worried because I felt like I had to rip it apart, since the roots were all matted together. Then the only way I could get it to stay down was to sprinkle some gravel on top. Also, with the stem plants, some are planted in smallish groups. Is this alright? Is it possible to plant them too deep and inhibit growth?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.