The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i was inspired by this guy's brilliant idea of planting on HOB http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170324 . The purpose of this thread is to gather opinion on what plant should be planted. Any comment or opinion is appreciated.

1) Please name some plants that you think are suitable for HOB planting
2) Any combination of plants would be good
3) The more colorful the merrier!

note* can water plant live without submersing it into water?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I read that vine-like plants do very well because they don't need the support of roots, which have nothing to hold onto.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Currently, I am starting AC30 with weeping moss super glued to a piece of figerglass screen that cascades down into my tank onto a piece of rock.

I am also starting a water lilly because they have huge blooms.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why start a new thread?

Ive had success with:

peperomia (eventually had an accident during filter maintenance and lost it)
peace lily
fittonia
aluminum plant
pilea moon-valley
parlour palm
moss (grew too fast and took over the rest of the tank, took it out)

Im now trying a beautiful anthurium lily plant but the roots are HUGE so is not the easiest plant to squeeze in to a small filter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why start a new thread?

Ive had success with:

peperomia (eventually had an accident during filter maintenance and lost it)
peace lily
fittonia
aluminum plant
pilea moon-valley
parlour palm
moss (grew too fast and took over the rest of the tank, took it out)

Im now trying a beautiful anthurium lily plant but the roots are HUGE so is not the easiest plant to squeeze in to a small filter.

I started this thread because people would give me the answer that i want, if i comment in your thread probably my question will be ignored by people:icon_sad: sorry for any inconvenience though

Btw today i tried Christmas moss and some water sprite, hopefully they will grow. Can water sprite survive with only the bottom submersed in the water?

I cant find any lily in local pet store, i would love to try them out though!

*will the plant clog up the filter?*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently, I am starting AC30 with weeping moss super glued to a piece of figerglass screen that cascades down into my tank onto a piece of rock.

I am also starting a water lilly because they have huge blooms.

Seriously? glue the moss? can the moss survive??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read that vine-like plants do very well because they don't need the support of roots, which have nothing to hold onto.
Yea i think it's best not to introduce any plant with root that will eventually get jammed in the motor, would be nice if i can grow riccia or HC on it

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Seriously? glue the moss? can the moss survive??
Gel type superglue. Use a small dab and you can glue moss or anything with a rhizome to hardscape. Tying moss down with thread, arguably, will allow moss to get started on a piece of hardscape easier though. With moss, it's all about how much of the moss is in direct contact with what you want it to grow on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gel type superglue. Use a small dab and you can glue moss or anything with a rhizome to hardscape. Tying moss down with thread, arguably, will allow moss to get started on a piece of hardscape easier though. With moss, it's all about how much of the moss is in direct contact with what you want it to grow on.
Does this means it will attach to my Hob water output area if they are in contact long enough with the plastic. Does this mean i am able to give my Hob a moss camouflage!!!!:smile:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Does this means it will attach to my Hob water output area if they are in contact long enough with the plastic. Does this mean i am able to give my Hob a moss camouflage!!!!:smile:
It you look at driftwood and even stones they have irregularities, in the surface. Even the most polished of river rocks do not have smooth surface.

Plastic and glass do not.(for this purpose) If you ant to try to get moss to eventually colonize plastic you'll need to use 60grit sand paper and scratch up the surface of the plastic to give the moss something to hang on to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts