The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just planted my hc for my foreground. wanted it as a carpet. the hc came potted. i took it out of the pot but the roots were in a mesh of some sort. so i put the entire mesh into my soil. is that what i am suppose to do if i want the hc as a carpet? figured there was no way to take the hc out of the mesh.:icon_frow

·
Registered
457 Posts
it will spread, but the HC doesn't grow fast. If you spread it around in little bits it will cover the foreground faster than if you put all your eggs in one basket. Also, the wool stuff will either rot if natural, or just pick up fish poo and be dirty if synthetic...so you want to remove it.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
it will spread, but the HC doesn't grow fast. If you spread it around in little bits it will cover the foreground faster than if you put all your eggs in one basket. Also, the wool stuff will either rot if natural, or just pick up fish poo and be dirty if synthetic...so you want to remove it.
Yeah, it will spread just fine as is, it will just take a long time to do so. It will only spread from that one spot so it will be nice and dence there and take a long time to carpet the tank.

I try my best to plant it stem by stem but it is very hard to do with the tank full. If you can drain your tank for a few hours, I recommend this, but fill it back up very slowly, you don't want to move the substrate and have it float back up. Otherwise, small clumps are easier to deal with and still will spread out nicely.

Lastly, HC often doesn't do much for about a month, then it really starts to spread. Don't get frustrated at first, as long is it looks healthy, it will start to spread.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can someone explain the quality / presentation / difficulty difference between hemianthus callitrichoides and micanthremoides? I have experience with planted tanks but haven't worked with any of the high-tech / high light plants like HC so I'm curious as to what to put in now that I have basically a great, sizeable tank + pretty good lighting (46G bowfront + 110W or poss. 150W if necessary). How does the finally 'carpet' look compared to something like Riccia? Thanks!

Sorry to hijack!

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
I would say HM is easier to grow than HC, but does not carpet as nicely (you will need to continuously train it to carpet, and even then, it may not).

The leaves of HC, HM and Riccia are all different, but I personally like both HC and Riccia carpets more.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I would say HM is easier to grow than HC, but does not carpet as nicely (you will need to continuously train it to carpet, and even then, it may not).
My HM carpets fine but is a pain. It looks so nice but so much trimming. I wouldn't recommend it even though it is the first thing you notice about my tank. Look at my 29 gallon thread and you can easily see the difference between HC and HM, both are carpeted in parts of my tank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I just started med school so I don't have the time to do the level of maintenance I did when I had a bunch of tanks, so I am just constraining myself to making one really nice display tank out of the 46G. Previously all my tanks were low-tech and low-light so I have a lot to learn since I want to do a full aquascape and my options in terms of plants have multiplied immensely, hence the question. Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my hc's are not looking great. i have a 80 gallon bowfront and have a catalina pc 2x96w. is that too little light? used soil from aquariumplants.com. diy co2. stems are pearling and doing just fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
You have enough light to grow HC, but the main issue may be the depth. In addition, you may not have enough CO2. Are you sure you have enough (i.e. check with a drop checker). With DIY CO2, I suspect that you are not injecting enough CO2, despite seeing your plants pearling.

Then again, you could be using several 5L bottles of DIY CO2; I wouldn't know :hihi:

What about your fertilization regime?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just started my tank over again. got the pressurized co2 going and planted the hc stem by stem.:proud: however, since i neglected my tank for so long, there was a lot of algae growing on the floor. i thought i took most of it out but there still seems to be some left. since the hc is already planted i don't want to try to take that algae out.

will that cause any problems for my hc?

and will that algae eventually disappear?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.