The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I think it works best if you separate it into smaller pieces (not necessarily single nodes/plantlets), it works better. I push the piece down into the substrate and, holding it in place with one hand, I lightly brush granules of substrate onto the piece in order to anchor it. If conditions are right, it will even grow when partially covered -- mine sure did. I pulled a piece and found it to be 2x the size I thought it was, as part of it was buried.
The larger pieces, I've found, have more weight and stay down better...Dime-sized, or slightly smaller is the best size in my opinion. Too small and your bottom feeders (cories, SAEs, loaches) will uproot it with their normal grazing. If left undisturbed and assuming conditions are right, it should root itself within a couple weeks to where you won't have to worry as much about uprooting. Until then, it might be a PITA.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is the advice I received from a fellow forum member:

The best way to plant HC is to take off 3-4 stems (preferably all connected together by a common root structure), and bury them deep into the substrate. You should only be able to see the crown and a few other leaves. The deep planting ensures that the plant will do two things: not float away, and root well to the new environment. With healthy roots, your HC should take off very quickly. Continue this method, planting each cluster of stems about 1.5-2.5 cm away from each other, or further apart if you don't mind waiting a little longer for a carpet to form.

This could potentially be back-breaking, but if you separate the HC into clusters of 3-4 stems BEFORE you start planting, you'll save yourself a lot of back pain by facilitating the planting process. Make sure you keep a spray bottle with you to keep the separated stems moist while you're breaking them up though!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I grab a few stems with the tweezers and just plug them into the substrate. Sometimes bury the whole plant just allowing a little bit to peek through, eventually it all grows out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts