The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a pretty large portion of HC. Wow, it's so much smaller than I ever imagined!:help: Does anyone have any tips / suggestions for planting this stuff. The only way I can think of is to break up the large clump into smaller bits and plant w/ tweezers. My substrate is SMS and it looks like the grains are bigger than the HC.

I invission several hours hunched over my tank this evening!

If anyone has any suggestions that would make planting easier, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
bharada said:
It's best to seperate out all the stems within a bunch and plant them individually. Just stick one end into the gravel so that a few leaves are poking out of the gravel. When the individual stems start forming clumps start the separate-plant process over again. This works the best for covering a larger area.
bharada said:
I don't bother trying to plant the roots. Just separate the clumps into individual strands and push one end into the substrate so that half of it is above the ground. For me it doesn't send out long runers, instead it grows in an ever increasing diameter clump.

Like fishfry says, just keep separating the clumps and spread out the planting. This is the fastest way to cover a large area.
from another thread

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That's good info. I was starting to wonder myself, as mine has slowly increased in diameter and probably should be separated out, as bharada mentions.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Unfortunately, it takes a while to actually start spreading well. For a week it just sits there rooting, and acclimating.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've grown alot of HC before. I find it kind of has growth spurts. It might seem like it's doing nothing so you stop paying attention to it then BAM the next week it's sending out runners everywhere.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I planted mine in tiny clumps in a checker board pattern and I almost have a complete carpet, planted like a month now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts