The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
e: Sorry, this is probably the wrong board. I should have put this in general or plants. I was thinking this made since because my whole conundrum was related specifically to the type of fish I have.

Hi all,

I have a 5" Jack Dempsey and a common pleco who about to move up to a bigger tank since I dropped their old one moving to my new house yesterday. I'm taking this as an opportunity to re-scape and re-plant because I did a pitiful job last time.

I'm still very new to this and I know I'm using too much light (4x54w T5HO) for my setup, but all I've managed to keep in the old tank was a huge water sprite (broke apart when moved) and an Amazon sword. Everything else got uprooted by my Dempsey when he went digging around in the sand. I was using some small to medium plants for carpeting and midground cover but if the root ball was small enough to come up when he went digging then I couldn't keep it planted.

The new tank is most likely going to be a 125. I don't want full coverage, since he enjoys doing a little landscaping himself. I have two pieces of driftwood, but will probably add more to the new tank to keep it from feeling so empty. Here's a picture of the 40G I had to pop him in yesterday until I get the new tank. You can see the two pieces of wood I have, but not very well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like more driftwood + attaching plants is the way to go. Any suggestions on moss or similar? The piece of driftwood on the left is a really really interesting piece that I don't want to lose under plants. It's hard to see since the water level is so low (tank is drilled on the back and I can't find the cap for the bulkhead).

I will add more wood when I upgrade to the new tank and plant it down with anubias and other stuff that attaches to wood easily.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.