The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few threads about this that say just to drop the bulb in the tank and let it root itself. That's OK, except that it will be going in the Goldfish tank in it's own pot. So I'm wondering if I can drop it in the tropical tank that doesn't have SAEs or Snails and let it develop a bit before I put in the GF tank. Or should I drop it in it's pot and net the top to keep the GF out?

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
A bit off topic here...

About 3 weeks ago I planted what the employee at a fish store thought was an Aponogeton with reddish leaves. At the time the plant was really just a bulb less than 2" long with a few new leaves coming out of the top. That aponogeton turned out to be a Tiger Lotus and it is quickly taking over my 29 gal tank! It is growing very quickly!

I planted the bulb directly in the gravel of my tank leaving just the leaves above the gravels surface.

The tank is tropical, temps in the mid 70's with various fish, some shrimp and 2 nerite snails.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit off topic here...

About 3 weeks ago I planted what the employee at a fish store thought was an Aponogeton with reddish leaves. At the time the plant was really just a bulb less than 2" long with a few new leaves coming out of the top. That aponogeton turned out to be a Tiger Lotus and it is quickly taking over my 29 gal tank! It is growing very quickly!

I planted the bulb directly in the gravel of my tank leaving just the leaves above the gravels surface.

The tank is tropical, temps in the mid 70's with various fish, some shrimp and 2 nerite snails.
Thanks, not much sticking out of this small beet, just a couple of tiny sprigs. I've read that if you drop them on the substrate they'll figure out which end is up. I've put it in my office tank for now so I can keep an eye on it to see if it's viable. It's been a little cold for bulb shipping lately. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Although I haven't try lotus yet, I did put a few apon. bulbs in another tank so that it will root before it went into my goldfish tank. After the bulbs produced roots, I planted in my goldfish tank with large rocks around it to prevent uprooting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I haven't try lotus yet, I did put a few apon. bulbs in another tank so that it will root before it went into my goldfish tank. After the bulbs produced roots, I planted in my goldfish tank with large rocks around it to prevent uprooting.
Thanks liljmn,

I'm planning to put it in a large clay pot in the GF tank with rocks on top. How much space did you leave around the shoots for new growth.

ATM though, it's just sitting on the bottom looking kinda dead. I think it may be a dud. :frown:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've read a few threads about this that say just to drop the bulb in the tank and let it root itself. That's OK, except that it will be going in the Goldfish tank in it's own pot. So I'm wondering if I can drop it in the tropical tank that doesn't have SAEs or Snails and let it develop a bit before I put in the GF tank. Or should I drop it in it's pot and net the top to keep the GF out?
Hmmmm...don't know that I would pair up a lotus with goldfish. IME, goldfish are too destructive to risk with such a beautiful plant. :eek5:

As for planting, I put just the bare minimum of gravel over the lotus' roots that I bought and it anchored itself rather quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts