The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this huge mat of HC (RAOK...very generous one at that) that I need to plant when my aqua soil gets here Tuesday. Do I really need to break it up into sections, or can I just plant the whole thing in the centerish? And by planting the whole thing...I literally mean the whole thing. Would it be possible to anchor it down with some kind of metal mesh type thing and give the roots time to grow into the substrate? Do I need to trim the roots a bit? What's the best way to plant this behemoth? :help:

In case you're wondering, it's being held down by a cross-section of fishing line which is tied to 4 rocks. There isn't any soil on the bottom of it...just bare roots.

Pic of the mat (that's a 20g long for size comparison):

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good question! I'd be tempted to leave it one piece but I've never tried carpets of anything so you better leave it to the carpet kings (and queens). Bump!

·
Registered
880 Posts
You need to break it up. It'll grow better and cover up the soil real nice ... when a mat of HC gets that thick it blocks the lower parts of the HC from growing, instead the bottom turns to mush and the whole thing floats up. Break it apart ... they don't have to be tiny clumps ... maybe 1 inch or even 2 inch clumps. It's not that bad.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thanks. Hopefully the aqua soil will be much better for planting HC's fragile roots than the PFS was...it's just too loose. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes break it up into 1"x1" clumps and plant it in a somewhat checkerboard pattern this will help it spread and fill in much faster.
+1 also trim the leaves and roots a little. this will stimulate the plant to grow out and fill in tighter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts