The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
lol, yeah it is really useful. Some of our members of the Pittsburgh Plant society were aghast at the pronunciations of plants at the last AGA meeting (they are hardcore).

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Well Latin doesn't have a "K" and the "C" is restricted to the "K" sound, never the "S", Julius Kaeser, not Seaser. So Riccia is Rik-kee-ah, because, like Japanese, every syllable is pronounced.

(Latin doesn't have a "J" either, Iulius Caeser is the actual name)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
There was a fantastic article outlining the different pronunciation schemes and reasons for them in a recent (last couple years I think) addition of The Aquatic Gardner. I'll see if I can dig that up when I get home and type out some more specifics. If I recall correctly, there are two schools of thought or sets of rules for pronunciation, and it comes down to basically "there is no one right way".

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
as part of my undergraduate education in Botany, i took a plant taxonomy class in college which was taught by the greatest taxonomist i have ever had the pleasure (or maybe it was horror?) of meeting. we were lambasted by the professor, Dr. Bob Patterson at SFSU for incorrect pronunciations. we were informed that there are rules for correct pronunciation, but only real pains in the AS$ (like him) made any kind of deal about it.

although there are real rules, depending on where you are in the world, the pronunciations change based on regional dialects.

For instance, when British botansists talk about the Pine Tree Genus, they say "pee-nus", where as we in the US say "pie-nus".. the arguement over who is truly correct never ends... and does occur regularly, especially at internationally attended meetings...

for this reason, we were made fun of when we used obviuosly bad names, but for the most part, were only forced to really know the spelling....

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Am I the only one who can't pronounce even half of the hobby related words that we are always typing? I never noticed the I in Riccia, I thought it was Ricca... Or am I just really tired and confused?

Oh, and when talking with Scolley, We couldn't figure out how to say Anartic, or whatever those blue SW bulbs are... Do other people have problems with words? I also can't say Chiclids...

-Andrew

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Its Rik eeh uh? Well in Japan they call it "Riss eeh uh," in katakana (which is the alphabet for foreign words.)
Moving Latin into Japanese is a completely different problem and I'm glad it's not mine.

note I don't know where the stress syllables are when saying the words

リシア RISHIA Riccia

one I love

ルドウィジア  グランヂュローサ  RUDOWIJIA GURANDYURŌSA Ludwigia glandulosa

one more

クリプトコリネ  ウインチイ KURIPUTOKORINE UINCHII Cryoptocoryne wendtii

These are from AquaJournal or the contest books

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
LOL. Japanese is strange when making foreign words. Also society gets many common words messed up. Such as the word "simulation." Although it is supposed to be "Shimyureeshon," they say "Shyumireeshon."

Very annoying for one who can speak english very well...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts