The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time lurker and reader first time poster..

Last week i was given an Aqua One AR 620T (34 Gal). I am going to be setting this up as a planted tetra species tank. I would just like to know whether i would be able to stock:
20+ Neon Tetra
5+ Black Phantom Tetra
10+ Rummy-Nose Tetra
10+ Pristella Tetra
Is this too much bio-load for the tank.
I will obviously be not stocking this all at once.. What should I add first??
I will also be taking some established biological media from my established AR980...

I would also appreciate any other recommendations on other possible Tetra species that would mix well..

Thanks Craig...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
People underestimate the size of adult Pristella tetras. My adult females are bigger than my female Rams. They're about 2.5" each. I've got 17 in my 90gal, and they use every inch of swimming room.

Your initial stocking plan was way too high. You'd need to pick much smaller fish if you want those numbers in the schools. Ember tetras would be a good choice for a 35gal tank if you want a big school of tetras.

I think you should also include some scavengers/bottom dwellers. Cory cats are always a good choice for community tanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your initial stocking plan was way too high. You'd need to pick much smaller fish if you want those numbers in the schools. Ember tetras would be a good choice for a 35gal tank if you want a big school of tetras.
I think you should also include some scavengers/bottom dwellers. Cory cats are always a good choice for community tanks.
Yes i have realised im stocking too much..
My LFS has ember tetras but they are 6 times the price of Neons and im not prepared to spend that much money on a fish that small..

Yeah im going to include some Siamese flying foxes for algae control but i may consider adding 2 or 3 cory cats aswell, thanks..

EDIT: Sorry another silly question, but is it safe to use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate water when im doing water changes or will it impact upon my biological filter??

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would save adding the rummynose tetras toward the end. Make sure your tank is up and running well before you add them cuz they will die quickly if the water isn't right. Not that this has happened to me before ;)

Dechlorinators will not affect any beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone had any experience keeping tiger barbs in a planted tank?? Also how many would my 34 gallon tall be able to accomodate?? Finally how easy are tiger barbs to care for, are they picky about water conditions and parameters??? Thanks Craig...

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
if ur going with tiger barbs now be warned that they do get bigger and numbers are better with them as they are a fin nipper. i would say no less then 7 of them and that would be it for your size tank. look into getting bout 5 cories and some otos bout 5 of them and then maybe a group of danios for the top portion of your tank. like 5-10 of them. add the danios first then the cories then the otos and then last the barbs add fish like every 2-4 weeks. that is safe enough

·
Registered
95 Posts
People underestimate the size of adult Pristella tetras. My adult females are bigger than my female Rams. They're about 2.5" each. I've got 17 in my 90gal, and they use every inch of swimming room.

ive also got a shoal of 20 ember tetras in my 4ft they a cool little dudes the stay about 30-38mm in length and are extremely placid little things

my favourite shoalers have to be the emerald eye rasboras i have
theres a shoal of 10 and they are never more that an inch apart really good shoal fish and i think they are 40mm max too

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Can you get better pics of the plants on the far right and far left?

The three in the middle I believe are Hygrophila sp (the green ones) and the ones with the red on the bottom of the leaves are Ludwigia.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.