The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 296 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for doing this. Most tank journals take awhile to get exciting since you start at day one and have to wait. This is like binge watching TV shows on Netflix.

Oliver is super cute. I love the pictures of him following the Mollies. Too bad he was snacking on their fins. I have Rasboras in with my Bettas. The boys chase them, but usually can't catch them. Except that one time... I still don't know if Finn found an already dead one or if he actually managed to catch it, but it made a hefty tummy ache inducing meal for him (he was a teenager at the time and a Rasbora was larger in comparison to young Finn than now older Finn).

· Registered
672 Posts
Part of Oliver's face lost color. There's no fuzziness so I don't think it's a fungus, and it doesn't quite look like a scrape or injury- I wonder if he is just getting old? A few days now after water change, the pale mark looks smaller, so I hope it's healing, whatever it was.
How is Oliver's head doing? I had something like that on Buster's head a few days ago. Under magnification, it looked a little fungusy. I did three 25% water changes over the course of three days, adding stress coat each time and it cleared up on its own.

The tank is shaping up nicely. I love your choice of plants.

· Registered
672 Posts
How are the limpets doing now that you put Oliver on a diet? My Bettas eat anything they can fit in their mouths. I'm betting he has been preying on them now that he is probably a little hungrier.

I was looking closer at Oliver. Except for the tail and fins, he looks a lot like my Betta Buster. They have the same coloring.

· Registered
672 Posts
ScubaSteve- haven't done a full tank shot in a while. It all looks like less now, because I trimmed some bacopa when I moved it, and trimmed back the subwassertang. I'll do another one soon when there's more growth.

Varmint- I still have limpets. Maybe their reproduction slowed down, but I can't tell. Some of them are bigger. Oliver doesn't eat them. I picked as many as I could out by hand the other day, and fed them to the cherry barbs in the other tank.
I had a huge infestation of limpets in my Fluval Edge at one point. I never saw the fish pick at them, so I don't know what caused them to disappear. Hopefully yours will just magically go away too.

· Registered
672 Posts
The tank looks great. I think you should resist the urge to keep redecorating and see how it fills in. If you have to get rid of the bacopa, try to find something colorful that grows fast. I have a plant that was mislabeled at the LFS, but I think it is a ludwigia. I love it. I have it in most of my tanks, it gives just a nice hint of reddish brown against all the green in the tanks.

The new Betta is adorable. His faults make him that much more cute. I think you should give him a curmudgeon name like Oscar or Louie. Even from the pictures, you can tell he has tons of personality.

1 - 8 of 296 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.