The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm inquiring as I have a 135 gallon with 20+ 4 inch rainbows, 2 large gourimis, 3 large SAE (4+ inches), 3 good size clown loaches (4-5 inches and fat), 9 cory's , 4-5 different small plecos, otos, and several other stray fish.

I am running CO2, an FX5 filter, 4 x 80 W T5HO, with 2 on for 10 hrs and 2 are a 2 hr burst. I do a water change weekly or bi-weekly if busy.

If I test, yes that thing people hate, I find my tank is always 40ppm+ on nitrates and over 1 ppm on PO4. I dose KSO4 on water change and CSM+B a couple of times a week.

I don't have a planted tank or a fish tank. I have planted fish tank. It's both because I enjoy both equal as they go hand-in-hand to me.

I would like to hear experiences and opinions on dosing, maintance, algae and etc. from others that keep schools of larger fish (3+ inches) and/or are over the 1 inch of fish per gallon.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I am going in that direction. I have 16 mid sized angelfish, 3 SAE, 1 GBR, 40 cardinals, 3 zebra loaches, ~ 10 julii corys, 3 brislenose plecos, and ~10 ottos, along with shrimp and snails. All in my heavily planted 125 gal tank. It is not too over loaded now, but once those angels get to full size it will be.

·
Registered
322 Posts
well i certainly don't compare to your 135, but maybe my experience can still help you. I used to have a pretty heavy planted/fish overloaded 10 gallon, just the common easier undemanding plants to care for, assortment of crypts, small swords, anubias, java moss, willow moss and some kind of grass plant etc. I had 17 cardinals, 6 amano shrimp, 4 silver hatchets, 5 beckfordii pencil fish, 6 pygmy cories and a couple ottos. It was more of an experiment before i set up my 20 gallon. 2x9w 6,700k bulbs 10 hours a day, bag of flourite, and whisper filter. Had a crappy jungle co2 kit(don't even know if it worked lol) and used almost all flourish products, excel, flourish, trace elements, potassium, nitrogen, and iron (once a week). Tank was badass and booming. My nitrites were 0 and my ammonia was always .25. PH seemed to stay around 6.2-6.5 range. I would change water when ph got around the 6.2 level. Never tested nitrates as I didn't have a test kit. Algae was not a problem at all. Only thing I noticed was tank would get a little cloudy on dosing days. Just figured it was because of the small gallon tank with the liquid ferts. Always would wonder if the fish could feel it, but they all seemed to be ok.

So I was a little over the 1 inch of fish per gallon theory. Pencil fish were territorial to each other and killed off the smaller pencils, that was the only fish problem. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
At one point I had around 70 small fish (cardinal/ember/black Tetras + Guppies/ Oto/ Shrimp) in a 20g tank. The tank was rock stable with WC's bi-weekly. This was with 2 XP2 canister filters and co2/dry ferts.

As long as the fish are not territorial etc I think you're ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts