The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried doing a planted tank with some mixed in decorations. Like a castle with plants or moss growing out of it or some things like that. If anyone has tried this feel free to share :)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
LOL

No bubbling calms, treasure chests or skeletons for you? No fun! :wink2:

The only thing I have in my tanks aside from the betta logs for the 5.5 gallon is a cichlid stone in the 10 gallon in the shape of a hut. I bought it as a filler item for a Amazon order.

Ironically, the thing is so small I think the only thing that could fit in it is a very young dwarf cichlid. My amano shrimp like to hang out in it, so it stays.

https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Galleries-AUG610-Mud-Small/dp/B003I5ZLNK/ref=sr_1_35?srs=3049300011&ie=UTF8&qid=1466788021&sr=8-35

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
There is a crocodile skull thingy in a tank at the LFS, I want to kick the glass in every time it pops its mouth full of bubbles open in a most explosive way. I think the fish stool themselves every time it does it.

I used to have one of those little froggy's with the no fishing sign, wonder what happened to it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is planted tank heresy!!
Haha it can still be planted! Imagine like a sunken ship with moss growing all over it and a carpet of hairgrass all around it.

I don't mean cheesy stuff like cartoon ornaments but stuff that can be used to replicate a real life picture.

One I would like to see is a amazon biotope or like a big themed tank with the plants growing out of the water. And above the water line having like a rickety old house.

Or a ancient castle covered in moss and small plants in between some mountains of seiryu stone with a carpet of HC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haha it can still be planted! Imagine like a sunken ship with moss growing all over it and a carpet of hairgrass all around it.
I have actually seen this done on a post here! I cant find it =( it looked pretty cool. Take care though, it can look really cheesy if not correctly accomplished!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pretty rocks is as far as I will go. I have some malachite, and some kind of reddish chert in my tanks now. I would think petrified wood would look fantastic. I wonder why people don't use it? Maybe it is hard to come by. I used to have pounds of the stuff from a canyon in Colorado. Should have kept it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
10 inch sunken ships are no more realistic than a literate frog.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is no rule. Do what you like but the trend in planted aquariums is Amano style nature aquariums. However lets be completely honest with ourselves and admit those don't look anything like nature either.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
There is no rule. Do what you like but the trend in planted aquariums is Amano style nature aquariums. However lets be completely honest with ourselves and admit those don't look anything like nature either.
Exactly.
I always find it funny when members get all bend out of shape when someone wants to do something a little different. Like use non naturalistic decorations, make a fake 'saltwater' tank, or use colored gravel! Freaks 'em out.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Exactly.
I always find it funny when members get all bend out of shape when someone wants to do something a little different. Like use non naturalistic decorations, make a fake 'saltwater' tank, or use colored gravel! Freaks 'em out.

That's cuse it's wrong, just wrong

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts