The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not new to fishing keeping or anything.

I join to ask a few question.

I have a dirt tank with sand and I run a canister filter on my 20 gallon Long.

The canister is a SunSun 302 rate at 1000L/H or at 265 gallon/h or something. I use a spray bar aim toward the surface and you can see the water movement...moderate fast-like a cyclone. Been running it for atleast 3 weeks or so.

I try to fill as much as I can inside the canister to its max but still the water current/moving is quite strong....it seems like there is no way to control the water rate/flow..

I am concern about my plants and fish. My pygmy corys never seems to come out from under the driftwood...only when feeding...this is proably due to the strong current as they are quite small and might get push around.

My rummynose looks like they are going aganist the strong current all the time.

My plants are not standing straight and are leaning against the intake or aways from the spray bar from.. plus this cyclone current does move my sand around a bit to make it uneven level of the sand bed.

My Plans:

I really want to get a Fluval 105 or even a 205 with spray bar to help lower the flow/current.

I read that you can control the flow rate with the aquastop valve if I am correct..?

I was thinking of going for the Fluval 105 because of its flow rate at 125GPH. This should help alot..but I am not sure If I Should get the 205 instead for $3 more on amazon which has 180GPH rating.

I would like people input on this matter and if I do get one or the other..I am either selling the SunSun canister.

You can see here that my water sprite is leaning toward the intake and it causing the root to come up.

The Plant in the back is also leaning toward the spray bar because of the current flow and the crypt in front gets blow too.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Why not just get a ball valve and slow the flow down on the output of the sunsun? That is all the "aquastop" would be doing on the fluval.

Or, you could drill the holes out bigger on the spray bar, and even point a few holes towards the back glass.

If everything isn't getting blown around I doubt the current is too high.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just get a ball valve and slow the flow down on the output of the sunsun? That is all the "aquastop" would be doing on the fluval.

Or, you could drill the holes out bigger on the spray bar, and even point a few holes towards the back glass.

If everything isn't getting blown around I doubt the current is too high.
we could do that.but by slowing it down half way with the "ball valve" (not sure what to use or where to get it)....its still strong..

Either way i would like to downsize it to a smaller canister. This beast canister is too much for my 20 gallon long and sure is big with alot of capacity for media.

Plus I like the flexiable tubing of the fluval..lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts