1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Generally your list look ok I don''t see any real issues there.

However, this is your first planted tank. Are you really really sure you want to spend all that money on ADA products? ADA is good equipment but it's way over the top as far as price goes. You can usually find products that are similar for a lot less money, and you can't really tell the difference. If your willing to get more or less standard aquarium gear it's even less expensive. Take a look arounf the forum and note how many fantastic tanks there are, and many don't use anything special.

Thing about this carefully. You might get into this area of the hobby and find out it's not for you. Then you will have wasted a ton of money on the ADA products.

Now once you get into the second tank, and your sure it's for you, then go all out and get ADA products.

·
Banned
483 Posts
You seem like a well organized person with lots of money to start this off. What's in it for you? The spreadsheet has me turned on bro.

I’m looking to purchase my first freshwater planted tank that I plan to keep a school of smaller fish in as well.
I’ve created a checklist of everything I’m planning on purchasing and would like a bit of input/suggestion before spending so much money.

Checklist: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1948_Gh7sgPm2zCzXfgHJQP8PCmzvtx-UJ3r1Kt510pQ/edit?usp=sharing
*The products/items crossed out means I’ve already purchased them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank y'all for the comments/replies I greatly appreciate feedback!

Generally your list look ok I don''t see any real issues there.

However, this is your first planted tank. Are you really really sure you want to spend all that money on ADA products? ADA is good equipment but it's way over the top as far as price goes. You can usually find products that are similar for a lot less money, and you can't really tell the difference. If your willing to get more or less standard aquarium gear it's even less expensive. Take a look arounf the forum and note how many fantastic tanks there are, and many don't use anything special.

Thing about this carefully. You might get into this area of the hobby and find out it's not for you. Then you will have wasted a ton of money on the ADA products.

Now once you get into the second tank, and your sure it's for you, then go all out and get ADA products.
I want something that looks modern/classy/crisp/clear basically a tank that looks like a millionaire owns it, and ADA gives that appearance when paired with some nice lights. Although I wouldn't be against other top tank brands such as Mr Aqua/Do!Aqua etc. I'd agree it would be best to start off with something less expensive but figured it should be even that much easier if I slowly peice everything together as I wont be officially starting the tank till next year (I'll be overseas for weeks in December).

I back what DaveK said. If I were you i'd go to an LFS and buy a 20 gallon, some cheap lights, easy to grow plants , and then slowly upgrade from there.
I checked out Petsmart/Petco and found the 20G long tanks but they are $35 I could have sworn I saw them for $20 a few weeks ago. Currently trying to find a used ADA tank to save a bit, they are selling for $100 used and I'm trying to talk a few people down. But I'd rather spend an extra $50-$100 to get an ADA tank over those cheap Petsmart tanks with horrible silicone jobs. Buy once, cry once.

You seem like a well organized person with lots of money to start this off. What's in it for you? The spreadsheet has me turned on bro.
Thanks and yeah I guess that's the designer in me, everything needs to be structured. Nothing is in it for me except it being something beautiful and relaxing to look at and maintain. Figured a nice crisp/clear ADA tank in the living room/hallway would just make my place look even better. Also it would help keep me away from video-games too. Lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dump all of your listed controllers and instead get a reefkeeper lite (or better). It offers light, pH and temp controllers right out of the box and is very expandable for future needs including network interfaces to monitor and control your tank from anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm interested to see how the 2217 works out for you. I recently made a thread about getting an eheim for a 25 gallon cube and the consensus was that the 2217 would be too much so I am probably going with a 2215. Have you check out mr Aqua or aquamaxx tanks?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Still has to add regulator/cylinder and decide on substrate. I've never used the Twinstar so not sure if that's worth the money. I agree that you could still have that ADA 'look' and save money by buying different brands for the Tank, Diffuser and Lily pipes. Everything else looks good to me.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I want something that looks modern/classy/crisp/clear basically a tank that looks like a millionaire owns it, and ADA gives that appearance when paired with some nice lights. ...

I can tell you right off that what you put in the tank, and how you set it up and maintain that system is what makes the tank look fantastic. You can have an excellent looking system using typical LFS gear and you can have a poor looking system using all ADA gear.

As for a "modern/classy/crisp/clear" look, with today's equipment such as LED strip lighting and canister filters, any decent tank is going to look that way.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I can tell you right off that what you put in the tank, and how you set it up and maintain that system is what makes the tank look fantastic. You can have an excellent looking system using typical LFS gear and you can have a poor looking system using all ADA gear.

As for a "modern/classy/crisp/clear" look, with today's equipment such as LED strip lighting and canister filters, any decent tank is going to look that way.
Very true! I sometimes find it sad that that some people who paid a premium for ADA gear have an ugly tank that can't seem to grow anything properly.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd seriously rethink the 2217 . Eheim rates it at 265 GPH . You're getting a 17 gallon tank . Looks like major overkill even considering flow loss from the inline heater . 2213 (116GPH ) (7X +/- turnover ) or at most a 2215 (165 GPH)( if you really believe you need 10X turnover ) could be better options plus save you a few bucks.

Just as an aside , I'm running 4 2211's (60 gph +/-) on 4 20 longs with lots of flow in each . But no inline heaters.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You can find similar lily pipes on evilbay of similar quality for half the price. ADA overprices alot of their stuff, and most of it can be had for much less. Like $100 for tweezers, and GLA sells the same stuff (still at a premium, but exactly the same) for $40. If I were you, I would buy an ADA tank, and that is all. Avoid the twinstar, it doesn't really work from what I have heard and tests that have been done. Do an inline atomizer or a reactor instead of the Pollen glass diffuser. It keeps equipment out of the tank, and a reactor ensures 100% co2 dissolution, where the diffuser's bubbles float to the top and waste co2 .

Also, just because you start with this equipment doesn't mean that the tank will look amazing. I would start cheap, and once you know you enjoy the hobby, and can grow a nice aquascape in a not-so-nice tank, then get ADA. I would hate to see you leave the hobby because you can't grow stuff, and lose a ton of money in the process. It is all in the hobbyist, equipment has nothing to do with it, as long as the equipment is of OK quality, you can grow an amazing aquascape if you have the skills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.