The Planted Tank Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Maybe the matrix has figured out you are a closeted democrat and you don't even know it yet, it may target adds based on the future you.
That's hilarious although highly unlikely.

Groan, mumble, deep breath, also considered looking elsewhere, leaving for my morning read. Am I being ridiculous?

Never have I read a "simple political ad"

Not a great word to pick here ridiculous...(?) political ads are a hot button topic for a lot of reasons to a lot of informed people so pick another word plz.

(imo) anybody with a buck to spend gets enough eye time with ad gab elsewhere. this site needs to stay free of the partisan fertilizer.

While strongly expressed both posts were cleanly written and I hope Dan gets a clean / CLEAR answer.

Living in a society that has to enact laws trying to stop people from texting while driving thousands of pounds of flying brick, now that's ridiculous.

Having a place to read hobby topics and opinions with my morning coffee,,, priceless.
:) @ wkndracer +1

Personally, I want my my closet back. With NO politics.
This is s family forum after all.
Whole-heartedly agree, OVT.

Things were a lot simpler before TPT took on the corporate guise.

Forum administrators will be notified, and hopefully positive action will be taken.
Exactly! You guys get what this forum used to be and what it should remain, a place to get away from it all free from anything other than what is related to the hobby. Thank you Mike for being impartial, vigilant and always above all, fair.

Just a heads-up: Many of those ads are served to you based on your browsing history, other patterns, your internet service provider and even your geographic location. That's how advertising with things like Google's AdSense works. Has little to do with this specific site.

I'm occasionally seeing ads for a dog kennel, some local steakhouse (I'm borderline vegan) and a vote for a regional sewer system change. All based on my geo location.

Vertical Scope can add political entities to their blocked list as they pop up, though. Or, depending upon their account, can specify that political ads won't be displayed.

If you don't like ads, install an ad-blocking plugin and you won't see them.
I can only hope that be true however this morning I called a few friends and asked them to visit the forum just to see if the ad would show up and it has. We can't all have the same browsing history. Just to be sure I stopped over at an internet cafe this morning while picking up some breakfast and didn't log in just visited the forum and there it was, the same political Democrat ad... disgusting...

I've never seen a single ad on the site ever. I assume it's because I use chrome and have ADBlockPlus installed, I think you should try that. I can see how using a phone could be annoying if they don't have ad blocking sofware.
Understood. there are many ways to block ads from showing up but that would be circumventing the issue. I believe dealing with it head on and shining a light to it is a better course of action because it affects us all as a community. I've been lurking around this forum since 2005 and join 2007, I've never seen a political ad until now.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
14,965 Posts
It's not all browsing history. Again,if you're all in the same region: geographic location is why the ad is being displayed. That particular ad has popped up for me all over the country as I've traveled the past couple weeks, so it's a widespread buy.

Keep in mind that not every ad served on the internet will cater to your political opinions, buying habits, viewing habits or reading habits.

If you're getting so worked up because your political opinion isn't represented or because you don't like something - use an adblocker. You'll never see another ad.

Love them or hate them, Vertical Scope didn't make the decision to allow a particular bent of political ads to appear - that's not how web advertising like that works. Getting upset at a website because an ad for the DNC pops up or because one for soy milk pops up doesn't really accomplish anything.

AdBlocker. All the way. Highly recommend everyone use one if you're tired of ads.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's not all browsing history. Again,if you're all in the same region: geographic location is why the ad is being displayed. That particular ad has popped up for me all over the country as I've traveled the past couple weeks, so it's a widespread buy.

How can an ad, according to what Adam have stated, "The advertising on the bottom of the forum is selected using various equations, of which one is your browsing history. Other examples are the time of the day you get on (for example, you might see coffee advertisements during the early morning)." pop up all over the country or follow you throughout the region. That isn't random it's simply targeted advertising. Seems the political ad was purchased and merely rotated with others as oppose to it being random. Deliberate or random, political ads go against the forum rules and should have no place here.

Keep in mind that not every ad served on the internet will cater to your political opinions, buying habits, viewing habits or reading habits.

So why am I being "targeted" for ads that appear according to my browsing history? The real question is why am I being tracked/targeted period! How about not using any ads except to what relates to the hobby specifically. Seems like the tides have turned.

If you're getting so worked up because your political opinion isn't represented or because you don't like something - use an adblocker. You'll never see another ad.

Okay, lets try this once more. I am not upset, angry, worked up or beside myself about the political ad. I am pointing out the obvious blatant disregard and the circumventing of the "Forum Rules". The subliminal indoctrination of the so called innocent ads was never tolerated. New ownership new rules which I understand, implement them across the board.

Love them or hate them, Vertical Scope didn't make the decision to allow a particular bent of political ads to appear

Yes they did! Do you really believe a company has no say/control as to what pop ups appear on their website? You really believe that?

- that's not how web advertising like that works.

That's exactly how it works, if it didn't why don't we see any adult sites pop up. It's because of the company's input. They are in control of what ads they would like to appear. Ad targeting is more sophisticated than you think.

Getting upset at a website because an ad for the DNC pops up or because one for soy milk pops up doesn't really accomplish anything.

You're missing the point and once again I am not upset, angry, worked up or beside myself about the ad, it's the principle that matters. Way to be impartial.

AdBlocker. All the way. Highly recommend everyone use one if you're tired of ads.

Why should I be forced to do so when it wasn't necessary before. Why should I have to download any additional software to simply surf the forums ad free? I understand ads help ease the financial burden and expenses however there are many tasteful and politically free ways of doing so. I won't make excuses as to why its happening, I'll just wait for the forumadmin to reply. It's obvious it went over your head, you just don't get it. I don't mean that as an attack it's simply an observation. New rules should apply to everyone across the board.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
14,965 Posts
You're misunderstanding. Google Ads are targeted based on a number of criteria. They don't always use the same criteria. That specific ad is geo-targeted to different geographic locations around the country. You're getting worked up over nothing, as the site doesn't determine which specific advertisers get to come through. Though, the administrator can block ads from specific advertisers as they pop up.

You aren't being targeted. That's a bit of an overreaction. It's your geographic location that matters. once your region has hit its fill/magic point/number of eyes seen/clicks/whatever their criteria are, it'll probably disappear in your region. Again, nothing to do with the site and everything to do with the ad service.

Vertical Scope didn't approve that Democratic Party ad. It was served by the company they're using. That's how web ads work. You don't pick and choose every ad you allow when you use something like Google AdSense.

You aren't being forced to do anything. I made a suggesting that ad blockers are great if you don't want to see ads. It's up to you if you install one. It's also up to you whether or not you click on an ad or ignore it.

Unless you disable all cookies, all temporary internet files and browse the web anonymously, you're being tracked. By all kinds of websites, ad services, internet service providers, et al.

If anyone has an issue with a specific ad, click it (sometimes you can right-click to get the destination URL without having to fully click the ad) so you can get the URL and then send a message to forumadmin with the URL. If it's political or offensive, they can block it. Short of that, we're all beating a dead horse.

P.S. I, too, think anything other than aquarium-based ads are pointless here. Vertical Scope should try to work to receive better targeted advertising. These car and cat food ads don't get any clicks from me. But some ads for an aquatics retailer probably would.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wow... just wow.

If a political ad bothers you so much Dantra, how can you stand to pick up a newspaper or watch tv? Almost every public news media is biased to one side or the other, why should a random advert on the the internet be any different?

Get adblocker, move on with life.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Much less drama with Adblocker :proud:

These ads are the new normal. No one would host this site unless they get some profit doing it.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Hey Adam, What is the excuse for advertising an obvious democrat-liberal ad? What makes you think that I or anyone else for that matter support the democratic party? Is it safe to assume that it's alright to talk politics now?

This is a "Planted Tank Forum" correct? Many here were reprimanded in the nicest way I may add and warned about expressing political views however on the front page you blatantly have an ad that goes against the rules. We were specifically told that we cannot post or talk about anything having to do with politics. Here is a capture of the ad in question:

Now I know for a fact that I have no browsing history because I browse in private mode however if, as stated above,

"The advertising on the bottom of the forum is selected using various equations, of which one is your browsing history."

I was being track it would be in no way, no how have anything to do with Michelle Obama & Elizabeth Warren (it hurts just typing their names) or the Democratic Party. Is this what is to be expected from now on? Indoctrinate much, push your personal political agenda/views much?

I'm basically asking, is it going to be one sided? If so there are many other Planted Tank forums that make it a joy to visit as opposed to being insulted by such an offensive political ad that's forced down our throats. Way to be objective PetGuide or should I say verticalscope. This is a "Planted Tank Forum" not a place to push your political agenda.

Dan
Good Lord. I read the most recent posts before seeing the and in suspect and figured it would be the kind that understandably gets people worked up (you know, the kind you see on TV? "So-in-so voted to earmark millions of dollars to go towards funding of his private hobby of forcing unwilling puppies to wear his wife's brand of dog clothing. If you support this person you -must- be evil")

All you needed to say was "what exactly is the forum policy on displaying political ads? Or something of that matter.

I agree that political ads just beg to raise controversy, but for an ad to "win lunch with politician X" to cause you this much grief? Get a life.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wow... just wow.

If a political ad bothers you so much Dantra, how can you stand to pick up a newspaper or watch tv? Almost every public news media is biased to one side or the other, why should a random advert on the the internet be any different?

Get adblocker, move on with life.
Much less drama with Adblocker :proud:

These ads are the new normal. No one would host this site unless they get some profit doing it.
Good Lord. I read the most recent posts before seeing the and in suspect and figured it would be the kind that understandably gets people worked up (you know, the kind you see on TV? "So-in-so voted to earmark millions of dollars to go towards funding of his private hobby of forcing unwilling puppies to wear his wife's brand of dog clothing. If you support this person you -must- be evil")

All you needed to say was "what exactly is the forum policy on displaying political ads? Or something of that matter.

I agree that political ads just beg to raise controversy, but for an ad to "win lunch with politician X" to cause you this much grief? Get a life.
You guys/sheeple are exactly what government and certain political parties thrive on... the kind of sheeple who walks around with paddles on the sides of their heads or better yet lives with their heads in the sand. You honestly think it doesn't matter. I just feel sorry for you, it must be great going through life with such a lackadaisy attitude.

If you can't answer my question why respond? Do you really think your opinion matters? Crave attention much? Do you feel like one of the 99%/occupy wall-street now? I asked Adam a question that a few others are also interested in but I need to get a life because I decided to ask as opposed to just go along? Who needs to get a life? You guys felt it necessary to respond because I asked about a political ad? Do you feel better now? You got the attention you wanted?

If you don't have an answer to the question but assume everyone should just glaze over it or think like you do, well that just makes you a puzzlewit.

Once again for the people sitting in the back who couldn't understand what my original question was, "Is it okay to talk about politics now which originally was against forum rules or is it do as I say not as I do? Have the rules been revised?

Dan

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Shave em hairy college kids now. Actually I saw some sheep today and yes, they had been freshly sheared.

Still, ad blocker solves all that bothers ye.

I chose NOT to have ads on my web site, but........I do not make $ off the advertisers and it cost more $ etc to run, but.......then again I get a lot less hassle and work due to no ads, vendor support etc. Each site owner does what they think is best for them work wise and profit wise.

Like spam, tracking your movement and coming up with more ways to get you to click, much smarter than advertising on a billboard or radio etc. Much much larger market. Annoying? Yep, makes lots of $? Yep, in the larger scheme of things.

It's a bit like an Arms Race, same deal with killing weeds.
You develop something to spread spam all over, get paid a lot of $ to do so, even if it's not ethical (it's just business eh?), then they come up with anti spam software (which is sold to the consumer as well(they buy and buy again for this product). Business wins in both cases. Then the spammers get creative and hire Troung in Vietnam to register a new account and post spam on forums for 5 cents for every 10 post he spams. Software forum owners track this info and share ways to prevent these spammers getting into the forums with various methods.

Banning ISP's will never solve this issue, they can use and infect zombie computers and owners who have no idea that they are infected and being used as host, or a college public computer etc. Banning ISP's will not solve this issue, it's much too easy to side step such methods.

Maybe back in the 1990's.

Not today.

I find all this back and forth interesting and have watched it for decades.

While using ad blocker will help, I'm certain, someone will find a way around it at some point. And they someone else will sell you something that stops that.

Sales/business, not politics(just a tool), drives this.

Dan, I've had a few posted moderated here, a few infractions etc due to things viewed at religion or politics. Sometimes just being a tad too passionate in the post about topics or hounding someone for an answer.
Ah, it's their site, they can do what they want. And in many cases, they were correct to spank me for it. We all are human. But, it does seem two faced if you focus on your specific question, that I agree with.
But..........the other posters explained why you see those ads. It's not TPT site/management directly. Letting them know might be able to change some of those types of ads, but I think it's hard to filter and see every one of them.

Two edge sword for them and for folks here.

Likely less effort to add ad blocker:)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
..Political ads here FTL..

Imo every ad here should simply be about aquariums, anything planted tank related. :p

Sadly Adblocker can sometimes interfere with benign pop-ups. It has happened to me before and I uninstalled it..

·
Registered
939 Posts
sheeple, good lord, I did not think people used that term any longer. Anyone consider themselves a sheep dog? LOL...

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

·
Super Moderator
14,965 Posts
Insulting others because one doesn't understand how Google AdSense works is beyond inappropriate.

Unfortunately, because of inappropriate remarks, this thread is now locked.

If anyone has concerns about advertising, direct your concerns to forumadmin via private message. That's the only person who has control over ads.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.