The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to start my planted shrimp tank. It is going to be 30L/7.9gal. Its going to be a low tech/low light planted tank. My question is shrimp has a low bio-load. So if 10 shrimp per gallon. At what point would it be over populated with shrimp, plus 3 small 1" fish? I also want to add 3 scarlet badis once the plants are going good and the shrimp are breeding good. One male and 2 females.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In terms of bioload shrimps add next to nothing, however they do make a fine mess :). Once the tank is cycled I suggest starting with a few shrimps. The shrimp population will somehow self regulate... if you do not feed alot. In a smaller tank I had 0 NO3 with about 30 shrimps and mostly moss, so if plants grow I would not worry, just vacuum the fine shrimp debris.

The scarlets would not be too much in the setup you describe.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have three shrimp tanks. rule of law. If it fits in a fishes mouth, they will eat it...ie...trust no one

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have one male and one female badis in my 17 gallon shrimp tank with 50+ shrimps. So far the badis leave my shrimps alone. You might have a hard time looking for a female badis. Sometime the male can have dull color and looks like a female but turns out to be a male.

·
Registered
401 Posts
im pretty sure indian puffer would eat your shrimps. I would recommend heavy cover with any kinds of fish, even harmless ones since they can harass shrimps by shuffling around(like cories). Micro rasboras or other small mouthed shoaling fish(pygmt cories, etc) might work.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dwarf puffer will eat your shrimps when it gets big enough. They're fairly aggressive for their size.
Micro rasboras will only eat baby shrimp at the smallest size, from what I understand.
Unfortunately, adding any fish but regular otocinclus is a total gamble.

Also, tetra are fairly risky, and danios are a definitive no. Danios will devour all your shrimp.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pygmy cories are safe with shrimps-they wont attack even the smallest babies! Same goes for Corydoras Hastatus-well at least to my experience. I have kept both with nmeocardina shrimps. but they might still harass shrimps when foraging, so cover is recommended. Same goes for otos-they might not attack shrimps, but might surprise resting ones. Ancistrus was safe for me, so most herbivorous loricarids are accpetable(probably) but too large for your tank. Dwarf hatchets might work too, since they are small top water dwellers, but are hard to find, plus might leap out of the tank!!! By choice would be some sort of dwarf cories(pygmaeus, hastatus, habrosus).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts