The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new on this forum but I've kept fish my whole life. somehow Ive managed to never get into plants before now and I've never thought of before but I'd really like to plant my Oscars 180 gallon aquarium. after seeing how my first planted tank has turned out theirs no way around it planted tanks just look better then unplanted tanks and fake plants will no longer cut it plus my Oscars aquarium needs something to pretty it up alittle. these particular fish "2 large albino Oscars" have never given me any issues in their tank with rearranging my placement of things not even the gravel unless they freak out while I'm cleaning or something and splash their tail. I think id be ok on them uprooting things and they wouldn't mess with things. I'd just really like to do some hardy plants that could take a bump every now and then as they can be kinda jumpy any ideas? Also lighting shouldn't be an issue but I'd like to stay away from co2 and stuff like that for now I was thinking Amazon swords something along those lines??? Let me know!!! Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
If I was going to try it I would use tough non rooted plants like java fern. I would also glue it down to a heavy piece of wood or rock. All you really have to lose is the cost of the plants, try it out.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I find one way to cut tilt the odds a bit is to use some better planting ideas. One to start is to avoid places where the diggers may work. I find up off the floor works better for me. Pots cut from soda bottles can often be hidden behind and in a pile of rocks. Second is that they may grab and pull the plants. So finding ways to make them really hard to pull may help. Rocks and wood can help. Plants in the tank are just a determined to grow as plants in the yard. So when you see plants growing out from under things like rocks or other hard items, think of how that might work in the tank. A sword may look like you have killed it at first but if you lay a piece of wood or rock across through the top when planting, it can continue to grow but not be very easy to pull. Rocks with holes are another way to make it really hard for fish to get to the roots. Red tiger lotus are one that makes a really solid plant. If limestone is your thing, a lot of plants may work growing up through holey rock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@james m See I've noticed this with an earth eater I used to have but he would move rocks pebbles fake plants everything my Oscars rarely go to the bottom of the tank and they have never picked up or moved anything in their lives I'm thinking of getting a cool large peice of driftwood to cover and hide my roots some while securing the plants to the woo itself does this sound ok? Also I have about 5 silver dollars in this tank how much would they tear up the plants my LFS Keeps them in planted aquriums and they said they won't kill or eat entire plants just little nibbles if I have enough plants to silver dollars? Any idea if this is true

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You mentioned wood and that brought up a thought that I had not mentioned. If you find wood that has a hollowed out portion, it can be handy. Like hollowed and split possibly? That can give you a point where the stem of plants can be slid in, leaving the roots inside with the leaves and stems outside.
I was down on the Gulf this week and collected this small bit that appeals to me as a place to tuck a plant or two. With a bit of trimming and fitting, I can enlarge the hollow and the split if needed but it should do the job of putting the roots out of reach as well as making the plant really hard to pull. At times, I have tucked roots and dirt into fabric like Tee shirt and then pushed the wad into a log. The material gives the grip long enough for the plant roots to get started and expand into the opening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.