The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted NC6 with RCS

1502 5
Hi all

Long time since my last project

I started this tank since my nano-reef went downhill with the summer heat, but it has been stable and thriving as a nano planted tank. Even the RCS don't seem to mind the heat! (up to 84 F) I use a small PC fan for cooling

It's a Boyu copy of an NC6 with 18w power compact bulb 50/50, which i will replace with a 10,000k bulb.

As a substrate i have 1-1.5 inch of Azoo plant grower bed and 1 inch of natural gravel

Flora:
Hygrophila Polysperma
Red Ludwighia
Anubias nana on driftwood
Java moss on rock
Elodea
Dwarf amazon sword
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cladophora
And a grass like plant i've forgotten the name

Fauna:
8 Red Cherry Shrimp (currently 2 females are carrying eggs!)
1 guppy fry that hitchhiked with the RCS

The tank's been setup about a month, dose Kent Marine's Pro Plant and Iron and Manganese weekly or every other week, and feed the RCS about once or twice a week with sinking tablets made for bottom feeders

Comments welcome!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

That's the smallest grain natural gravel i could find, the next smallest is silica gravel but i had a bad experience with it and i'd rather not use it.

I still have my doubts about azoo grower bed, as it says it should be replaced every year, but i have had very good results growing plants with it.

Any opinions about which substrate is better? Seachem Flourite or Azoo Grower Bed? I have used both, but i have a hard time planting in flourite, though i have very good results as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all
New update
My RCS just had shrimplets! Just saw a couple scurrying in between the gravel, how many there are i cannot say, let's hope they keep breeding! :icon_smil

On another note, does anyone recommend the use of Hagen's Co2 system with this tank? I've read somewhere that shrimps are very sensitive to pH changes and they can die very easily with co2 added

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's been a long time since last updating this tank.

I tore it down recently, wasn't having very good growth, even the anubias were deteriorating, so i decided to change the substrate and lighting. I thought of turning it into a Walstad style tank.

The new substrate is about 1 inch of soil, plus 2-3 inches (i think, didn't measure it) of Azoo Plant Grower Bed. It's about 6-7 cm of depth total.

And i removed the stock light and added 3 6500k LED spotlights ( i believe they are 1 watt/LED, 9 LEDs total)

Plants:
Hygrophila Polysperma
Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanervig
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Java Fern on driftwood
Java Moss
Anubias nana on driftwood

Fish:
Crowntail Betta (not yet)

Comments welcome!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.